CarMax

www.carmax.com
  www.carmax.com
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Good experience for sales, but too many scheduled hours and required morning training is unpaid.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sales consultants at CarMax receive the same commission no matter the price of the car that they sell, so it makes their job a lot easier. Since CarMax has a no-haggle philosophy, it was nice as a sales consultant to be able to tell the customer that the price on the vehicle is the price. The company also offers benefits and vacation time.
CarMax offers part time and full time positions, so in case a consultant is in school or has some outside obligations, the part time schedule can be flexible.

Cons

The shifts that were scheduled at my particular location were nine hours in length and varied greatly. Shifts ranged from 8:30-5:30, 9-6, 10-8, 11-7, or 12-9. The two days off each week were different as well. The erratic work hours provide its employees with a variety of different business hours to help build their sales, but on the down side, it was extremely difficult to have a life outside of work. In regards to that, if a sales consultant did not want to split their sales with another consultant, they would need to come in on their days off or stay late. There was very little respect for balance of work life and home life.
The initial training for sales was paid at $12 per hour, which was great. However, upon finishing the training, all sales consultants are required to arrive early a few days during the week to complete morning training. The issue was that the required time was not paid, even though the sales consultant couldn't be on the floor selling cars. The training sometimes helped sales consultants build sales, but nonetheless, it should have been paid.
All income is completely commission based. If a consultant has a sluggish pay period in commissions and the total amounts as less than minimum wage, the full minimum wage will be on the consultant's check for that pay period. However, the minimum wage is "subsidized," so the amount that was added into the previous pay period would be taken out of the check in the next pay period, as long as the total commissions made were more than minimum wage.

It is imperative for management to make more of an effort to stay staffed with sales consultant. A sales consultant should never be scolded for not being able to stay late and take care of customers.
In regards to corporate management, pay your employees for all training. Also, it might be wise to pay the sales consultants some sort of an hourly wage to provide them not only with a reason to be at work, but an income they can rely on in case business is slow.

771 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have always enjoyed a fun Football locker room type atmosphere. Mainly male associates so during our down time we tend to hang out as opposed to always having something to do all the time. At one time you could also make a decent income without having to work everyday. There are many more freedoms allowed in this position than most of your average " jobs."

Cons

The company has taken a downward turn ever since economy problems in 2008. They have raise prices of vehicles while lowering appraisals. This has created a much tougher sales environment I once felt good about selling a car no haggle, now I feel like I am ripping people off sometimes just because they fail to do research. Corporate has created more and more training initiatives to offset a more expensive and in my opinion a less quality product. The sales management staff is unfortunately relegated to being " yes " men and they feed us whatever info corporate wants out and spin it in a manner to make it seem like a positive when it is usually a new way to have us do more work for less or a new way to save the company money while we make less.

I may sound bitter but it is because I am. This was once a company that had much promise that I felt good about going to each day with my head up and with the potential to make a decent living. Now due to excessive redundant UNPAID training sessions combined with less earnings due to overpricing, I feel sales consultants are taken advantage of an are told " it's retail" as a rational reason for why we have to take all the new initiatives.

Fair Experience

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax part-time

Pros

Good company culture, lots of great co-workers, most sales people come from other backgrounds. Excellent, award winning training program

Cons

Commission per sale is quite low, is flat fee. A bit controlling about the ongoing training.

Pay sales people more and offer more incentives

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax