CarMax

www.carmax.com

Good experience for sales, but too many scheduled hours and required morning training is unpaid.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe sales consultants at CarMax receive the same commission no matter the price of the car that they sell, so it makes their job a lot easier. Since CarMax has a no-haggle philosophy, it was nice as a sales consultant to be able to tell the customer that the price on the vehicle is the price. The company also offers benefits and vacation time.
CarMax offers part time and full time positions, so in case a consultant is in school or has some outside obligations, the part time schedule can be flexible.

ConsThe shifts that were scheduled at my particular location were nine hours in length and varied greatly. Shifts ranged from 8:30-5:30, 9-6, 10-8, 11-7, or 12-9. The two days off each week were different as well. The erratic work hours provide its employees with a variety of different business hours to help build their sales, but on the down side, it was extremely difficult to have a life outside of work. In regards to that, if a sales consultant did not want to split their sales with another consultant, they would need to come in on their days off or stay late. There was very little respect for balance of work life and home life.
The initial training for sales was paid at $12 per hour, which was great. However, upon finishing the training, all sales consultants are required to arrive early a few days during the week to complete morning training. The issue was that the required time was not paid, even though the sales consultant couldn't be on the floor selling cars. The training sometimes helped sales consultants build sales, but nonetheless, it should have been paid.
All income is completely commission based. If a consultant has a sluggish pay period in commissions and the total amounts as less than minimum wage, the full minimum wage will be on the consultant's check for that pay period. However, the minimum wage is "subsidized," so the amount that was added into the previous pay period would be taken out of the check in the next pay period, as long as the total commissions made were more than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is imperative for management to make more of an effort to stay staffed with sales consultant. A sales consultant should never be scolded for not being able to stay late and take care of customers.
In regards to corporate management, pay your employees for all training. Also, it might be wise to pay the sales consultants some sort of an hourly wage to provide them not only with a reason to be at work, but an income they can rely on in case business is slow.

Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I have always enjoyed a fun Football locker room type atmosphere. Mainly male associates so during our down time we tend to hang out… Cons: The company has taken a downward turn ever since economy problems in 2008. They have raise prices of vehicles while lowering appraisals. This has… Advice to Senior Management: I may sound bitter but it is because I am. This was once a company that had much promise that I felt good about going… More

Supply associate

Supply Associate (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Family atmosphere and good work conditions Cons: low hr rate and low number vacation days Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!