CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

1st 6 months

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxnard, CA
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seemingly well organized. Management invests a great amount of time and effort screening possible candidates resulting in lower turnover. Being successful (selling cars) is rewarded in both more money (not much) and encouragement. If you are not selling, you will be "coached" with a steady stream of documentation outlining what it is that you need improvement on. No matter what, the sales managers are documenting everything you do and you are constantly acknowledging their observations.

Cons

It's all about drinking the carmax cool aide, or the appearance of it. False sense of worth, do not think for a minute a sales consultant not selling the most cars,but doing well is relevent. We all wondered why the LGM location general manager wouldn't say more than a couple of words to us one on one. Sales pukes are the lowest form, easily replaced and not worth getting to know. If you understand that and can live with it, you will be fine. It takes 55-60 hours a week to make $1,000 a week so the lazy and those needing constant positive feedback for their ego need not apply

848 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Great Work Life Balance, Rewarding Career

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company cares about the associates, training is comprehensive, compensation is decent, work life balance is great for those who value quality time with the family, good relationships can be developed with others, opportunities for growth is plenty, promotions are fast if willing to relocate.

Cons

I have been there over a year and I haven't seen any downside to this company. I will update my note if I see anything that gets my attention.

Please maintain the great culture of CarMax as the company grows in the years ahead.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Tolleson, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Tolleson, AZ

I worked at CarMax part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A sense of community, management was professional, great people to work with.

Cons

Pay isn't the highest, mean customers. But the people you work with make it a great place to stay.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax