CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Great Work Life Balance, Rewarding Career

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company cares about the associates, training is comprehensive, compensation is decent, work life balance is great for those who value quality time with the family, good relationships can be developed with others, opportunities for growth is plenty, promotions are fast if willing to relocate.

Cons

I have been there over a year and I haven't seen any downside to this company. I will update my note if I see anything that gets my attention.

Please maintain the great culture of CarMax as the company grows in the years ahead.

771 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Great sales training but poor management and salary

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great training program before dealing with customers
    -Weekly meetings and social events to connect with co-workers
    -Great benefits program
    -No haggle when purchasing vehilces
    -Promoted within company and many locations to transfer

Cons

-Salary was lowest of competitive car dealerships
    -Advertised high quality vehicles tend to have many issues after inspection
    -Under qualified sales managers who were very lazy and uneducated
    -Long hours and expect to be there 6 days a week

Better qualifications for sales managers and better pay

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have sold over a 1000 cars for Carmax in my six years of working there and was considered one of the best. I took the job while I was in college and with their help got my degree while working part time. The job paid so well that I decided to go full time after graduation. You will feel proud of what sell and how you sell it. You will also be amazed at how dirty other car dealerships can be and will grow to respect Carmax's best practices even more.
    I eventually decided to move closer to home and therefore had to leave the company because they didn't have a location in the area in which I wanted to live. If they do come back to my region I will certainly join the team again. The part time job is the best, full time wears you out because of all down time. Get a job there, you will not regret it. You are as successful as you want to be and they certainly give you plenty of opportunity. This is the easiest job in the world for the pay.

Cons

Recently Carmax has started to attempt develop everyone into a World Class Sales associate, and the training never stops. They do this because they hire almost anyone. The bummer is not everyone needs to be trained day in and day out. Their business model is so easy to master and the process of selling a car is so repetitive I find the training counterproductive.
    It is easy to get promoted into management, but that is as far as you most likely will go, successful managers with 12 plus years experience are still waiting to get their own GM positions and won't because they primarily hire that position from the outside. Get comfortable.

Continue to develop those that close under 10%, but if a guy has a lifetime close rate of 15% don't manage them the same as the guy closing at 6%. Prior to 2009 you did this, I recommend you mix the old and the new. Empower those that are successful so that others have something to strive for.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax