A good twist on the business of selling cars, but car salesmen (and women) are still car salesmen

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at CarMax full-time

Pros

CarMax employs a great training program for sales consultants. They truly believe in their philosophy, and back it up with not only a comprehensive month-long initial training period, but continuous training on a weekly (sometimes daily basis). The company cares about the quality of their product. And they do so while making (in my estimation), a solid profit for their stakeholders.

Cons

Unfortunately, while a company can instill good behaviors in its sales force, that doesn't eliminate the bad habits that car salesmen have learned elsewhere. One of the hallmarks of car sales (or likely many commission-driven businesses which rely on foot traffic, is the "ups" list. Sales consultants wait on this list, and as customers arrive, whomever is "up" (the sales consultant at the top of this list) takes the incoming customer. However, as I learned quickly, not all "ups" are the same. Some customers are more likely to purchase than others, and seasoned sales consultants are able to make this assessment even before a customer walks in the door. At the same time, sales consultants can also tell when a customer is not as likely to purchase a vehicle. So, even though a sales consultant is "up" (or near the top of the ups list), if they see a customer approaching whom they estimate to be an unlikely buyer, the sales consultant will vanish.

There were instances when I was fourth or fifth from the top of the ups list, but the sales consultants ahead of determined that an approaching customer was not worthy of their time, and they all suddenly had something else to do. Consequently, I suddenly became "up", and engaged the new customer. The first few times this occurred, I was pleasantly surprised. After a few times, I was not. My "co-workers" were fairly accurate in their estimation of the likelihood (or ability) that a customer would purchase a vehicle. Even someone whom I trained with had told me about similar experiences, and that he had even pointed out to another salesman that a particular customer whom he was ignoring was his.

Police the "ups" list. And enforce penalties for those who do not adhere to it.

Other Reviews for CarMax

under pays, refuses to pay always looks for a way out

Former Employee - Production Technician  in  Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

100% commission so you're able to do your work as you please.

Cons

refused to pay for work I've done, always looked for a way to get things done for free, always pressured to do more then required, was always told do it our else... Always new managers because they fire them all the time, very high turn over of employees

get new management that actually knows how to manage.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family atmosphere, Decent compensation, Great training and a culture of experimentation. Customer focused.

Cons

Increased demand for vehicles has lead to lower quality. Too many folks trying to eat from the same plate.

Stop flooding the sales floor with consultants, More flexibility with scheduling - if it's 8pm and there hasn't been a customer in an hour sales consultants should be able to decide if they want to go home or not. It's not like you're paying anyone who isn't selling a car. No one likes "working" for free. End the favoritism, I've seen too many consultants get away with things that they should have been fired for except they sell lots of cars and have management scared of a discrimination complaint. . Tie none commissioned employees pay to production to lessen the impact of the "I'm in no hurry, I'm getting paid no matter how many cars get sold, deals done, vehicles made saleable, etc" attitude in the other departments. Notice, I'm not asking for a per sale pay raise, I just want the opportunity to sell more. Work/life balance for the sales force is a joke. No one wants to take a day off, especially a weekend because then you'll lose money.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!