There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Not a bad place to start, but don't stay too long.

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For an auto dealer, Carmax is not a terrible place to work. Decent compensation, stable work environment and high level of integrity towards it's customers. A new to the workforce manager will receive a comprehensive development plan and continuous training that can be applied to any future employment.

Cons

KMX, like many other companies used the economic downturn to shift it's business philosophy to an extreme profit-centric focus. The company has consistently added workload, reduced staffing, cut benefits (stocks), and reduced annual compensation increases to a small flat rate for all associates/manager regardless of performance.

Furthermore, it changed it's health care provider to aetna in 2012 and coverage went down, while rates went up. You also have to agree to yearly health screenings to get a "discount" on your rates. These screenings were occurring long before CVS garnered attention for the same practices.

KMX has also become very good at convincing employees how lucky they are to work there. This is achieved with an almost cult-like culture, where any objection or dissent is squashed. Most are scared to speak out due to running the risk of being perceived as not "bought in", which is a death sentence.

In conclusion, carmax has become a company of initiatives run by analysts. As a result the micro-management is at a level only seen in the most bloated of bureaucratic governments.

I'm giving it three stars due to the years I worked at the max when things were good.

Folliard and the boys club may be making the company more money than ever, but you lost a culture when you ran Ligon out. We felt like we were part of something great and were building it together. Carmax has essentially turned into every other big corporation complete with double speak, backbiting within the ranks and a overconfident attitude.

reviews filtered by

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at CarMax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of your fellow co-workers, for the fact that most agree that CarMax has some serious issues. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Micro-managers, horrible schedule working 5 of 6 weekends, File reviews that will make you want to quit on the spot, high pressure on sales associates that don't sell to 10% of their customers, very contradicting company, unprofessional management in most cases, sold vehicles many times coming back for repairs, and customers find things wrong on a test drive.

There is no advice I can give because the problem comes from the top.

2. BOA

Former Employee - BOA in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - BOA in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great team of people in the stores.

Cons

Upper Management tends to single out favorites for promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax