CarMax
www.carmax.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Not a bad place to work, not the greatest.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Newport News, VA

ProsFun atmosphere, friendly employees. Ability to make a TON of cash if you are dedicated and persistent. Good opportunity to learn a lot about different vehicles. A true inside view of the used car industry. Perks of working for a Fortune 500 company including fun events and tasty provided lunches.

ConsLong days are possible and will happen. Sales managers expect you to take sales calls on your days off and even come in. You may see ten or more customers before you even have the remote chance of making a buck. Numbers, numbers, numbers driven management, be prepared to defend yourself if you have a lousy week / month. Good training, but, you aren't making a dime at training, unless you are still a trainee / hourly.

Advice to Senior ManagementNewly promoted managers have little to no personality, it's all regurgitated CarMax University and training seminars talking there, no human behind the comments. Some managers are so driven by the numbers they fail to realize what customers truly want. At times it can feel like sales managers are almost pushing you right to the edge of high pressure sales. A tip for future managers, take it easy on the employees, let them learn the sales process and what works and what doesn't, it may take some time but they will make a sale.

It pays the bills

Detailer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time for less than a year

Pros: Can be nice if you are interested in the Sales, Business,… Cons: The Operations department that I worked for was indeed very volume oriented even though they said detail oriented first and then volume… Advice to Senior Management: Hire Cosmetic Supervisors who know HOW to supervise and WHAT to supervise. My supervisor had been there a year and I knew more than he… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

BOA

BOA (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: A great team of people in the stores. Cons: Upper Management tends to single out favorites for promotions. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees.