There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Not a bad place to work, not the greatest.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newport News, VA
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newport News, VA

I have been working at CarMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, friendly employees. Ability to make a TON of cash if you are dedicated and persistent. Good opportunity to learn a lot about different vehicles. A true inside view of the used car industry. Perks of working for a Fortune 500 company including fun events and tasty provided lunches.

Cons

Long days are possible and will happen. Sales managers expect you to take sales calls on your days off and even come in. You may see ten or more customers before you even have the remote chance of making a buck. Numbers, numbers, numbers driven management, be prepared to defend yourself if you have a lousy week / month. Good training, but, you aren't making a dime at training, unless you are still a trainee / hourly.

Advice to Management

Newly promoted managers have little to no personality, it's all regurgitated CarMax University and training seminars talking there, no human behind the comments. Some managers are so driven by the numbers they fail to realize what customers truly want. At times it can feel like sales managers are almost pushing you right to the edge of high pressure sales. A tip for future managers, take it easy on the employees, let them learn the sales process and what works and what doesn't, it may take some time but they will make a sale.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

1. It pays the bills

Current Employee - Detailer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Detailer in Houston, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be nice if you are interested in the Sales, Business, and Buyers departments. Those three departments can help you get ahead.

Cons

The Operations department that I worked for was indeed very volume oriented even though they said detail oriented first and then volume later. Because I take pride in things that I do, this was not the position for me, at least according to my supervisor.

Advice to Management

Hire Cosmetic Supervisors who know HOW to supervise and WHAT to supervise. My supervisor had been there a year and I knew more than he did in just 2 months. Make sure they do not skip steps to make us detailers cut corners and do things we are not hired to do. Also, the policy in place that says one may not move positions until 6 months of working at Carmax should only be put into place for EACH department, not as a whole. I have a bachelors and a position opened in the buyers department that I was eligible for but I would have to wait 4 more months to apply for it but I was in the Operations department. Each department has a unique set of needed skills and my skills would fit better in the position I wanted rather than the position I had. Plus, if I were to be hired to that position and someone was hired to fill my operations position, then you would increase productivity overall by matching people to areas they are actually good at.

Enjoyable but just scraping by

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Littleton, CO

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for a dealership is entertaining with constant new challenges and CarMax allows employees to do this without using shady or sleazy tactics, people are great and management is fair.

Cons

The commissions are on the low side and there is not enough traffic to sustain the income promised in the interview.

Advice to Management

More local advertising may be beneficial