CarMax
www.carmax.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsStrong connection will get you to the next level. Was promoted in less than one years time.
Family type atmosphere
With a true Associate Engagement based LGM, you are empowered to drive change, be innovative and most importantly trusted to make the right decision until proven otherwise

ConsMicro Managed to the point of scheduling events in a calendar and reading what we wrote in the body to make sure we know what we are doing. As a sales manager it is almost impossible to respect sales consultants time with customers and hold meetings, let a long the constant changes in your calendar from the LGM.
In less than 2 years have cycled through 3 LGM's. No consistency amongst them in direction, expectations and training
Have not seen a pay plan for my position after asking multiple times
No road map or visual guide on what it takes to get to the next level. Its based on who you know and with the rapid change in LGM's.
No credit based on experience that you bring to the table from previous years, masters degree, etc. Cookie cutter training and development that can be very demeaning. Done in effort to check the box.
Too many customer returns for mechanical issues that affects sales consultant pay in lack of ability to work on a fresh sale. Also makes it difficult for the sales manager to hit the daily budget. Raised the concerns multiple times and the quality level has not improved.
Pending LGM, Treating Associates With Respect, is either rock solid or based on that LGM's level of maturity. I have never worked for a company that mocks or laughs about other peoples mistakes out in the open. Your peers know better, but have been beaten down to accept it. Or unfortunately have no options for alternative work.
To call in a sales manager on their scheduled day off for unsubstantial reasons (i.e. training that is not due for another 2 weeks) is unethical. Or even to call them in for floor coverage when there are already 5 sales managers on the floor, sends a strong message that you don't care about your staff. You are only nurturing your ego.
I was an exceptional performing employee with exceptional results. I implemented out of the box programs that are in place now at other stores. With the lack in clarity on how to obtain my future goals, seeing the lack of support for my peers as well as the sales consultants on the floor, the inconsistent expectations, and low subpar bonus structure I had to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back from the KMXU training and spend some hands on time at your stores to focus on the principles of people leadership, effective change management and associate engagement. You treat employees well, they will walk through fire for you. Focus on teaching your LGM's how to coach and develop. Hold your LGM's accountable to TAWR. Conduct an unannounced go and see so that you can see beyond the smoke screens and mirrors. Also, it takes too long to hold associates accountable for unethical behaviors. Foster an environment so that those that know what's happening in the store will speak up to protect the company, store and associates.

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant Club Level (Current Employee)

I have been working at CarMax for less than a year

Pros: Co workers. The company hires good people (the turnover rate is really high.) You… Cons: If you work full time you must work 50-60+ hours a week to reach your goals. If you work part time you work full time… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great overall work experience

Sales (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros: easy schedule. easy workload. relatively easy money. good management. they have your… Cons: some customers can be real douchebags. other local dealers take advantage of the 'free appraisal' process… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees.