CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong connection will get you to the next level. Was promoted in less than one years time.
Family type atmosphere
With a true Associate Engagement based LGM, you are empowered to drive change, be innovative and most importantly trusted to make the right decision until proven otherwise

Cons

Micro Managed to the point of scheduling events in a calendar and reading what we wrote in the body to make sure we know what we are doing. As a sales manager it is almost impossible to respect sales consultants time with customers and hold meetings, let a long the constant changes in your calendar from the LGM.
In less than 2 years have cycled through 3 LGM's. No consistency amongst them in direction, expectations and training
Have not seen a pay plan for my position after asking multiple times
No road map or visual guide on what it takes to get to the next level. Its based on who you know and with the rapid change in LGM's.
No credit based on experience that you bring to the table from previous years, masters degree, etc. Cookie cutter training and development that can be very demeaning. Done in effort to check the box.
Too many customer returns for mechanical issues that affects sales consultant pay in lack of ability to work on a fresh sale. Also makes it difficult for the sales manager to hit the daily budget. Raised the concerns multiple times and the quality level has not improved.
Pending LGM, Treating Associates With Respect, is either rock solid or based on that LGM's level of maturity. I have never worked for a company that mocks or laughs about other peoples mistakes out in the open. Your peers know better, but have been beaten down to accept it. Or unfortunately have no options for alternative work.
To call in a sales manager on their scheduled day off for unsubstantial reasons (i.e. training that is not due for another 2 weeks) is unethical. Or even to call them in for floor coverage when there are already 5 sales managers on the floor, sends a strong message that you don't care about your staff. You are only nurturing your ego.
I was an exceptional performing employee with exceptional results. I implemented out of the box programs that are in place now at other stores. With the lack in clarity on how to obtain my future goals, seeing the lack of support for my peers as well as the sales consultants on the floor, the inconsistent expectations, and low subpar bonus structure I had to leave.

Take a step back from the KMXU training and spend some hands on time at your stores to focus on the principles of people leadership, effective change management and associate engagement. You treat employees well, they will walk through fire for you. Focus on teaching your LGM's how to coach and develop. Hold your LGM's accountable to TAWR. Conduct an unannounced go and see so that you can see beyond the smoke screens and mirrors. Also, it takes too long to hold associates accountable for unethical behaviors. Foster an environment so that those that know what's happening in the store will speak up to protect the company, store and associates.

771 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant Club Level
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant Club Level

I have been working at CarMax (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers. The company hires good people (the turnover rate is really high.) You can relocate. They are always hiring at all locations due to the companies turnover rate.

Cons

If you work full time you must work 50-60+ hours a week to reach your goals. If you work part time you work full time hours but end up not clocking in for weekly meetings and training sessions so you don't exceed hours on clock. You must attend all of these because it is considered "best practice." You receive no benefits for working part time and this is. Fortune 100 company? When you make club level you fall out periodically because they want you to keep producing which leads to burn out! The pay is awful for how hard you work. You have to spend hours cleaning cars as a consultant. If someone returns a vehicle due to poor quality vehicles they take back commission they already paid you for. You must use your OWN cell phone and get no reimbursement from the company. Therefore you have customers calling you all the time when your home which equates for more unpaid hours. No consistency whatsoever in all departments.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dulles, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that you work with

Cons

Horrible place to work. I do not understand that they cannot get rated highly. The only place I know that they treat there sales department like crap. This is why the turned around is high with sales and with managers.

It doesn't matter what advice you give they will never change.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax