I can't say I look forward to coming to work most days.

Current Employee - Buyer
Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job Security - if you don't screw up. Vacation time is always granted.

Cons

Retail hours that are not very consistent...comes with the territory I guess. The thing that really gets to me is the fact that I feel stuck in my current position. I have been with this company for over 8 years...EIGHT YEARS!...and not one genuine conversation about moving up and getting to the next level. Sure they make it known that those opportunities are there and will always be...but in reality...if you are outside the circle, you will always be outside the circle. I have done everything asked of me and then some. Worked my a$$ off just for a pat on the back and a "Thank You". I have to laugh when they ask me to add more things onto my plate so that maybe someday I will be seen as a "next level" kind of associate. They dangle that carrot and hope I leap for a bite. NO MORE! I'm done trying here, because it hasn't done anything for me in 8 long years, and I don't see it changing things for the future. To top it all off - the pay is well below the industry average for what I do and the experience I have. Yes, I will be leaving as soon as I find another job.

Stop over managing the associates. A monthly file review is overkill and very much like going to the dentist. Make it quarterly so that we have more to discuss.

Other Reviews for CarMax

It was very interesting.

Former Employee - Specialist, Accounting Merchandise Payables  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Specialist, Accounting Merchandise Payables in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The employees were friendly making you feel comfortable. My experience was a change by learning different opportunities through out other departments. It was challenging for me to that I could accomplished other things as well, it was very interesting.

Cons

I found very thing was up to their standards.

Keep up the good work.

Micromanagement, low pay, no longer does honest business

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  Live Oak, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Live Oak, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good (not great) entry-level sales experience for part-time, short-term.

Cons

How this company stays on the Forbes list of 'Top 100 companies to work for' is a complete mystery to most who work there. Sales consultants are commission only, paid the lowest commissions in the industry. Are also required to attend meetings and trainings for which they are not paid. Even on scheduled days off. Means that at least 15% of sales consultants time is like slave labor. Would be acceptable if training actually resulted in increased sales- which it doesn't. I fully expect there to be legal action taken against Carmax at some point as a result of investigations from State labor boards or at least private litigation. I also expect to see at some point a unionization of the sales force. Store-level management is some of the most incompetent I have seen in 20+ years in retail and car sales, their sole purpose being to execute and enforce 'employee development' programs that come from corporate level where the originators have no realistic concept of the sales process. Real-time hands-on assistance from sales managers that would result in actually closing a sale is non-existent, because sales managers are totally involved in this pointless and counter-productive development process. Most are incapable of selling, even if they were allowed the time, because of gross inexperience and lack of sales background. Sales consultants are graded and disciplined based on customer surveys that include metrics beyond their control. These metrics include vehicle pricing, product quality, business office wait time, etc. Very unfair that the responsible departments and individuals are never held accountable, but sales consultants are penalized and commissions are charged back when the system fails, which is all the time. At the corporate level priorities have shifted to opening new stores, the goal being to please the stock holders. This has resulted in a drastic decline in product quality. The so-called '125 point reconditioning process' that has been a cornerstone of their quality story, is now an absolute joke. Cars are sold with known defects, including defects affecting safety, then repaired after the sale during the 30 day warranty period. After this time repairs are at customer expense. The strategy is to get as many cars through the process as quickly and cheaply as possible, to fill the lots of the newly opened stores, then fix them on the back end, provided the customer notices the defects during the first 30 days. This includes wear items like brake pads, tires, batteries etc. that were not replaced during reconditioning because they had at least 31 more days of life expectancy. Many cars arrive at locations without even being cleaned, many still have previous customers paperwork (insurance cards, bills of sale, etc.) in the glove box. Most Carmax employees would not buy a car from their own dealership. My own personal employee purchase required $2800 of repairs during the first 6 months of ownership. Most of the repaired items were broken or worn out when I purchased, and would have been repaired during reconditioning if the process was at all like it is advertised, or like it was when I first started. Meanwhile, as product quality has declined during my 5 year tenure, prices have gone up. 5 years ago Carmax used cars cost more than the average used car, because they really were worth more. Today, however, Carmax cars are dirty, unreliable, overpriced junk, being sold under false pretense. Veteran sales consultants have seen the resulting decline in sales volume and customer retention. Unfortunately, upper management, directors and stock holders are focused on growth, because the stock price is tied to expansion, not real-world bottom-line numbers that effect sales volume and customer perception. My overall outlook for the long-term health of the company is dismal, in spite of the consistently climbing share price. As a stock holder I watch the value very closely. I expect there to be a tipping point very soon where their current strategy of growth at the expense of doing honest, sustainable business, the inevitable unionization and litigation against them with regard to employment practices and the liabilities associated with selling unsafe vehicles, will become obviously disastrous to shareholders.

My advice to senior management is to address the issues of quality, ditch the counter-productive 'employee development' programs and stop lying to customers and employees.

My advice to job seekers is to look elsewhere.

My advice to shareholders is to watch very closely for the upcoming $hitstorm of litigation.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!