CarMax

www.carmax.com

I can't say I look forward to coming to work most days.

Current Employee - Buyer
Current Employee - Buyer

Pros

Job Security - if you don't screw up. Vacation time is always granted.

Cons

Retail hours that are not very consistent...comes with the territory I guess. The thing that really gets to me is the fact that I feel stuck in my current position. I have been with this company for over 8 years...EIGHT YEARS!...and not one genuine conversation about moving up and getting to the next level. Sure they make it known that those opportunities are there and will always be...but in reality...if you are outside the circle, you will always be outside the circle. I have done everything asked of me and then some. Worked my a$$ off just for a pat on the back and a "Thank You". I have to laugh when they ask me to add more things onto my plate so that maybe someday I will be seen as a "next level" kind of associate. They dangle that carrot and hope I leap for a bite. NO MORE! I'm done trying here, because it hasn't done anything for me in 8 long years, and I don't see it changing things for the future. To top it all off - the pay is well below the industry average for what I do and the experience I have. Yes, I will be leaving as soon as I find another job.

Stop over managing the associates. A monthly file review is overkill and very much like going to the dentist. Make it quarterly so that we have more to discuss.

Other reviews for CarMax

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

A company that will allow you to develop and move to the next level!

Cons

Schedule can be a challenge. You often need to work late hours and weekends.

Good but bad

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Woodbridge, VA

Pros

Demo, stock options and vacation.

Cons

You are taught not to think and be fed a lot of unnecessary training. Managers are not allowed to express their thoughts. If they do it's career suicide.

Stop lying to people during interview process. Integrity applies to LGM's and RVP's too! Promotions are impossible unless you are chosen. Results don't matter here. Try to be a sales manager then hope for best after that cause it gets worse from there.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!