CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Great people, sales driven

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun and dynamic environment, great people, not too pushy on sales aspect.

Cons

Although not pushy, still sales based, thus requires pressure from corporate>management>sales team

817 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

CarMax - The Early Years

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Sales Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Sales Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None that I know of today

Cons

Everyone I know that works for CarMax appears to be somewhat disattisfied

I worked for CarMax in the Early years 1997-2009. It was a great company to work for back then. I was a manager and we wanted nothing more than to see our sales consultants succeed and make money. Our cars went through a 125 point inspection and we had very few returns, No today. Around 1006 I noticed that things were changing drastically, We advertised the 125-point inspection but it clearly was not being completed. The company just want more cars out on the lot as fast as they could get them through and that meant just looking the car over really fast and dropping the 125 point inspection. Quality went down and quantity of units went up. I could say a lot more but its not the same company. I was there about 10 years and decided this was not the place it used to be and left. I now work for a great company that respects its employees and a great place to work. Its really a shame how CarMax has gone downhill. It was at one time a really great place to work and a great place to buy a car. I currently know of no CarMax employee who would purchase or have a car worked on at CarMax and that is really a shame. Where did Austin Ligon go??? CarMax needs you back Austin. It is your legacy isn't it?????

Sales Managers Care About Their Bonuses - Not Your Rent

I have been working at CarMax (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money with or without a degree if you're willing to work 10-12 hour days 6 days a week, and be available 24/7 on your cell phone.

Cons

The commission is terrible ($160 for selling a car, which can take 2 hours or 2 months), the hours are long (shifts are 9-10 hours five days a week, and you ALWAYS end up having to come in early, stay late, or come in on your day off), and management only cares about the store making budget so they can get a bonus, so they don't care if they give your customer to another Sales Consultant and you lose your commission, because as long as the unit still gets sold, they're closer to their bonus.

Try to think about the fact that we are NOT on a comfortable base salary (starts at $48,000/year without ANY bonuses), and that we do NOT get days off like you do. We do not get vacation time like you do - if we actually take our weekend off, we get interrupted with phone calls, texts, and customers just showing up and having to decide whether to enjoy a day off and lose half (or all) of our deal, or come in and burn the day off to MAYBE sell the car, or maybe not.

Our managers are constantly on vacation. They can afford to use their vacation time and rearrange days off with other managers to have 3-4 day weekends and have the comfort of knowing that they are 1) Getting paid, and 2) Don't have to worry about having nothing in the pipeline when they get back, because they are STILL going to get paid.

We have several salaried managers in the Sales and Purchasing Departments who are on their 7th week of vacation for the year, and it's October. Must be nice.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax