There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Great people, sales driven

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and dynamic environment, great people, not too pushy on sales aspect.

Cons

Although not pushy, still sales based, thus requires pressure from corporate>management>sales team

692 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Used to really like my job at CarMax. Now I can't wait to find another job.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly, nice people work in the lower-level positions like sales consultant, service writer, technician, business office associate, and purchasing assistant, and some sales managers. CarMax had a good reputation for 10+ years at the store I work at. Work spaces are cleaned and the building looks nice. You can move up if you agree to move anywhere CarMax tells you.

Cons

Terrible pay has not changed in years. if you get promoted to manager from inside the company you make 8-10K less than managers hired from outside the company. That's insulting and insane. Richmond headquarters lives in a bubble, no idea how bad the company's reputation is becoming. Location General Managers on up seem to care about their stock options going up and not about the long term outlook for the company. Wake up. Wall Street can punish you if they think this is another Circuit City. If you are a customer, good luck. You will pay thousands more than you should, your service contract may be hard to work with, and you may have to return your car and buy another one more than once to get a decent runner.

Go back to reconditioning cars like we did when the store opened. Stop allowing cars on the lot with dead batteries, barely legal tires, dirty exteriors with paint scratches, and filthy interiors. People live in fear of telling the truth because they know they will lose their job, we have watched it happen to other associates. A union is a real possibility if the company doesn't turn its policies around fast (many of us have already signed cards). Most of all, stop setting "goals" that are really ways to keep everyone from making a decent bonus. We want to feel good about working for CarMax again.

Sales Managers Care About Their Bonuses - Not Your Rent

I have been working at CarMax for more than 5 years

Pros

You can make good money with or without a degree if you're willing to work 10-12 hour days 6 days a week, and be available 24/7 on your cell phone.

Cons

The commission is terrible ($160 for selling a car, which can take 2 hours or 2 months), the hours are long (shifts are 9-10 hours five days a week, and you ALWAYS end up having to come in early, stay late, or come in on your day off), and management only cares about the store making budget so they can get a bonus, so they don't care if they give your customer to another Sales Consultant and you lose your commission, because as long as the unit still gets sold, they're closer to their bonus.

Try to think about the fact that we are NOT on a comfortable base salary (starts at $48,000/year without ANY bonuses), and that we do NOT get days off like you do. We do not get vacation time like you do - if we actually take our weekend off, we get interrupted with phone calls, texts, and customers just showing up and having to decide whether to enjoy a day off and lose half (or all) of our deal, or come in and burn the day off to MAYBE sell the car, or maybe not.

Our managers are constantly on vacation. They can afford to use their vacation time and rearrange days off with other managers to have 3-4 day weekends and have the comfort of knowing that they are 1) Getting paid, and 2) Don't have to worry about having nothing in the pipeline when they get back, because they are STILL going to get paid.

We have several salaried managers in the Sales and Purchasing Departments who are on their 7th week of vacation for the year, and it's October. Must be nice.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!