Average Tech Jobs Here

Current Employee - Network Technician in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Network Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work culture is really laid back and easy going. They don't ask too much of their employees.

Cons

There is little advancement opportunities in the tech fields.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

CarMax - The Early Years

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Sales Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Sales Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None that I know of today

Cons

Everyone I know that works for CarMax appears to be somewhat disattisfied

Advice to Management

I worked for CarMax in the Early years 1997-2009. It was a great company to work for back then. I was a manager and we wanted nothing more than to see our sales consultants succeed and make money. Our cars went through a 125 point inspection and we had very few returns, No today. Around 1006 I noticed that things were changing drastically, We advertised the 125-point inspection but it clearly was not being completed. The company just want more cars out on the lot as fast as they could get them through and that meant just looking the car over really fast and dropping the 125 point inspection. Quality went down and quantity of units went up. I could say a lot more but its not the same company. I was there about 10 years and decided this was not the place it used to be and left. I now work for a great company that respects its employees and a great place to work. Its really a shame how CarMax has gone downhill. It was at one time a really great place to work and a great place to buy a car. I currently know of no CarMax employee who would purchase or have a car worked on at CarMax and that is really a shame. Where did Austin Ligon go??? CarMax needs you back Austin. It is your legacy isn't it?????

Used to really like my job at CarMax. Now I can't wait to find another job.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, nice people work in the lower-level positions like sales consultant, service writer, technician, business office associate, and purchasing assistant, and some sales managers. CarMax had a good reputation for 10+ years at the store I work at. Work spaces are cleaned and the building looks nice. You can move up if you agree to move anywhere CarMax tells you.

Cons

Terrible pay has not changed in years. if you get promoted to manager from inside the company you make 8-10K less than managers hired from outside the company. That's insulting and insane. Richmond headquarters lives in a bubble, no idea how bad the company's reputation is becoming. Location General Managers on up seem to care about their stock options going up and not about the long term outlook for the company. Wake up. Wall Street can punish you if they think this is another Circuit City. If you are a customer, good luck. You will pay thousands more than you should, your service contract may be hard to work with, and you may have to return your car and buy another one more than once to get a decent runner.

Advice to Management

Go back to reconditioning cars like we did when the store opened. Stop allowing cars on the lot with dead batteries, barely legal tires, dirty exteriors with paint scratches, and filthy interiors. People live in fear of telling the truth because they know they will lose their job, we have watched it happen to other associates. A union is a real possibility if the company doesn't turn its policies around fast (many of us have already signed cards). Most of all, stop setting "goals" that are really ways to keep everyone from making a decent bonus. We want to feel good about working for CarMax again.