CarMax

www.carmax.com
  www.carmax.com
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

I have been an associate with CarMax over 6 years. Overall, it has been a great experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CarMax part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I make my own schedule. Very friendly peers. Competitive pay.

Cons

Can be very political at times, just like most companies. Excessive training at times.

Rules and regulations are changed on a weekly basis and communicated poorly to staff.

768 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Stable Job but Not Your Dream Position

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They hire very nice people. Fairly pleasant working conditions. Stable job.

Cons

You will have many frustrations with customers taking your time to assist them to find the type of car they want and they go elsewhere to buy it or their current car is not paid off enough for them to be able to afford a new one. Managers will be on your case if you are not selling enough cars. Some do it in a constructive way to help you, others just annoying. Most of your customers will be selling a car and not buying. That takes your time and most don't want to sell after they see your offer.

Have separate people do appraisals so sales consultants can just sell cars. Also, pay your mentors. They are totally taken advantage of. This role takes time away from sales and they get next to nothing. Management test is designed to weed out older people.

I can't say I look forward to coming to work most days.

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job Security - if you don't screw up. Vacation time is always granted.

Cons

Retail hours that are not very consistent...comes with the territory I guess. The thing that really gets to me is the fact that I feel stuck in my current position. I have been with this company for over 8 years...EIGHT YEARS!...and not one genuine conversation about moving up and getting to the next level. Sure they make it known that those opportunities are there and will always be...but in reality...if you are outside the circle, you will always be outside the circle. I have done everything asked of me and then some. Worked my a$$ off just for a pat on the back and a "Thank You". I have to laugh when they ask me to add more things onto my plate so that maybe someday I will be seen as a "next level" kind of associate. They dangle that carrot and hope I leap for a bite. NO MORE! I'm done trying here, because it hasn't done anything for me in 8 long years, and I don't see it changing things for the future. To top it all off - the pay is well below the industry average for what I do and the experience I have. Yes, I will be leaving as soon as I find another job.

Stop over managing the associates. A monthly file review is overkill and very much like going to the dentist. Make it quarterly so that we have more to discuss.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax