Recruiting

Current Employee - Recruiter in Marietta, GA
Current Employee - Recruiter in Marietta, GA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee relations and Comfortable enviornment

Cons

Pay is the highest that it could be

Advice to Management

Stay on the straight and narrow

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Carmax

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money, possible advancement if you brown nose, training on how to sell

Cons

As a sales consultant, I was hired not on my sales exsperience because I didnt have any. I was hired becasue I was a people person and outgoing. I was fired because I was a people person. I got fired for being that. You have to vwalk on eggshells in this company. Of course there is a obvious line on what and not what to say, but in my case i was let go becasue I was in gray area. Never had the chance to confront my accuser. I was more than happy to leave. If you have to walk on egg shells around there and knowing these maangers wont get your back this company is not for you.

Advice to Management

Be human, not a damn robot.

Don't have fun unless you have been instructed to do so.

Former Employee - Operations in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Operations in South Jordan, UT

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted pricing on parts for your vehicle if you order them through service drive with the employee discount. They have three different healthcare options plus the option for pre-tax healthcare spending accounts. Bonuses, rewards, and competitions with other locations keep a healthy competitive atmosphere alive nationally. Motivational compass meetings for attempts at building morale are done monthly; employees can make suggestions for improving the culture at work before a vote is made on a plan of action for the month. Standard work directions have been created for every possible job duty, with the idea that an entire new crew could come in and pick up the work with little hiccup.

Cons

It's a conveyor belt production/prison atmosphere in the operations shop. Don't step outside the lines of your bay, don't go to the bathroom if it's not break time, don't have conversations with others that aren't directly related to the work you are currently doing. Private conversations must be stopped immediately because they could be related to starting a union, heaven forbid. Teamwork, getting to know your co-workers, and morale boosting is strictly limited to monthly scripted meetings and personal break time. Standard work has calculated how each minute of your day should be used and there is no room for anything at all outside of the repeated 36 minute cycle that you are to do. Your schedule gets changed around quite a bit with little communication. Surprise, you are working 10 hour shifts this week, hope you didn't have plans.

Advice to Management

Make the morale boosting activities sincere, make people want to stay. Current compass meetings feel scripted. After the month's action has been decided, it's forgotten or tweaked so drastically to fit into Carmax standards that it becomes ineffectual. And next month will be a different focus anyway. Let people be humans, let them talk while they work. And stop promising the world to every employee. Every employee shouldn't be let to believe that they will be the next Lead. That gets old in a hurry and breeds distrust in the leadership.