CarMax

www.carmax.com
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax part-time

Pros

The pros are great benefits. They pay a good portion of my college. Everyone is respectful of each other and there is a "family feel". Carmax already has an established name so you never have to worry about getting customers. The pay can be great if you work hard. Even when im doing bad for the pay period, I'm doing 9x better then my previous job.
They are open to hiring younger/less experienced people. Carmax provides training and its not impossible to be hired at 18 but you have to really stand out.

Hours are very steady. Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles.
Best part time job for sure.

Seems there are opportunities for advancement if you stay in the company long enough.

Cons

Customers think you are hourly, so they will show up when you are not there and you will lose a hard earned sale.
Weather affects traffic. In the winter you see less people than in the summer.
There is no steady paycheck.
At some times you do feel like you are micro managed but it is a sales job.

I love Carmax but putting "Hiring" signs right behind the podium does not send the right message to your workers.

821 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

AWESOME Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at CarMax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate environment, most of the co-workers and management are real team players, more than most. Casual uniforms, great internal discounts.

Cons

Work/Life balance. If you don't make the commission you need before pay day, you'll work open to close every day to get it. During those bad times, if you divide out your pay by the hour, it's very low.

Be a team player as much as you are a coach.

sales consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to work at, it is a great place to learn and develop. If you don't have any sales experience and want to learn from the best, come to work here!

Cons

commission based only, so the slow days kills you, but on one good day, you will forget the bad ones!

Keep up the good work and the effort of giving the employees a better working environment! I love carmax and hope to keep working there for a long time!

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax