Great place to work

Former Employee - Service Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Service Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at CarMax

Pros

1)Benefits
2) Paid Vacation
3)Personal day
4)sick pay
5 )Great team enviornment

Cons

Long hours, ok pay but low as far is industry is concerned fort a Service Writer. Alot of policies that arent strictly enforced but if you break one, bye bye. Depending on managment, they are very flexiable with attendance.

Advice to Management

Have real proof of a violation before you just chain fire people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Carmax

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at CarMax

Pros

2 weeks of paid vacation, 6 paid sick days, and 1 personal day.

Cons

Due to economy theyre short staffed and underpaid. No room for advancement unless you want to relocate.

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers who actually progressed by knowing the job and not by kissing ass.

overall, carmax is a good company.

Former Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Nashville, TN

I worked at CarMax

Pros

pay is pretty good, good products (overall). wouldn't trust buying a used car from another company. this is not to say that carmax is perfect as it relates to vehicle quality (who is?) but if i had to take a chance with buying a vehicle from any company, it would be carmax. overall, carmax is a good company.

Cons

career growth is limited because of the size of the company. lack of high-level management engagement in career pathing. it doesn't exist in the operations side of the business. i spent some time at headquarters and was able to mention my concerns and told that the company was fully aware of the need to have a functional development/training program for operations manager trainees and that the company would have one in place by the end of that year (2008). needless to say, they're still working on it.

Advice to Management

there isn't a solid program for operations manager trainees. as a result, you're used and thrown around to feel any void the store has without a defined plan of what direction your career is headed. i would go long periods of time without hearing from my boss about progress. several times he told me that he was gonna send me to assignment to another state for exposure and training that NEVER happened. all told, i heard this complaint from several people across the company. so, it wasn't specific to my experience.