Caradigm

www.caradigm.com
There are newer employer reviews for Caradigm

Once in a lifetime chance to make game changing healthcare analytics and applications

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Engineering Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Caradigm full-time

Pros

Timely opportunity to impact and change a large industry by bringing the best of today's technology to healthcare IT. If you don't have experience working in a startup best advice is to not look at Caradigm. On the other hand if you like a vibrant environment, get energized by a fast pace, don't mind wearing many hats and doing whatever it takes to delight customers... don't wast any time; join in the fun at Caradigm. No, I don't work in Marketing, nor am I in HR. I am on the engineering team and I absolutely love working at the company. Working at Caradigm is a rare blend of a startup (been a company for about a year) with the benefits and backing of very large and profitable parent companies (GE and Microsoft). Combine this with the four company values Customer, Teamwork, Simplicity and Promises and you get the culture in the company. This is one company that actually lives its values. Very transparent corporate culture resulting in no politics!

Cons

Startup environment so expect there to be more work than people to get the job done. Meaning, you will work long hours but everything you do will have a direct impact to the toughest engineering and business issues our country and economy faces today. Schedules are tight and execution focus is keenly watched so very little room for error. What this means is you will work with senior leadership regularly so everyone is expected to lead their area. If this kind of work is not for you, don't join the company.

Keep focused on growing the top line, preserve the special culture we have built in the company, hold the recruiting bar high and let's go get 'em!

76 Other Employee Reviews for Caradigm (View Most Recent)

Missing vision, demoralized staff, and in the death spiral search for silver bullets...

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Caradigm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/family balance.
    The company works very closely with offshore teams (mostly in India).
    Being in healthcare means that it is possible to see/how what you do could lead to improved patient outcomes.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking.
    Middle management seems lost in a fog of denial and back biting.
    Horribly under resourced for it's intended goals.
    There is no silver bullet in an industry this conservative. Looking for quick fixes (such as hiring folks to write positive reviews on this web-site) only hinder the organizations cause.

Customers define your business. The role of engineering teams is to provide product for those who work with those customers. Currently this formula seems upside down.

Started with high hopes, augering itself into the ground at an alarming rate.

I have been working at Caradigm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Started with a bevy of Microsoft and GE products, along with a customer base and a global drive for healthcare information systems. Pockets of genuine talent within the company. A built-in market, begging for real HIS, HIE, population health, and BI solutions. A global presence, with offices and partners worldwide.

Cons

A sad decline from a good start, into what is now a mess of mediocre software,
    * Scrambling for sales at the expense of quality, infrastructure, and ethics.
    Company has spent the last year contradicting its own values - one major layoff and two reorgs in the space of a year, as their talent flees for better employers, leaving behind a confusing welter of middle managers trying to support short-sighted decisions made by VPs.
    This company actually believes that quality is something you add -after- you design and implement software and has attempted to defend that very viewpoint over the last three months.
    * An aging, ill-designed code base on some products has left the company struggling to sell their wares to a discriminating customer base.
    As a result, this company has, in the space of a year, changed its pitch from "selling healthcare information platforms on which customers can build their own apps" to "selling healthcare information apps built by partners which customers can implement", to "selling cloud access to healthcare information apps built by Caradigm which customers can access", all because the software being produced is fragile and bloated, the result of mediocre design and poor implementation.
    * A contradictory culture, demonstrated all the way to the top.
    Caradigm's 4 "pillars" - customers, promises, simplicity, teamwork - are given polite nods and then ignored for our real pillars - sales, compromises, complexity, silos.
    Sales are far more important than shipping quality software to customers - after all, we can fix it once we have our foot in the door. We keep changing direction not to better respond to customer needs, but to better exploit healthcare information trends. We're now into "population health and analytics", and we allegedly extoll "big data", for example, even though we aren't capable of supporting it, all because those buzzwords will make the sale.
    Promises are too difficult to keep, so we're expected to compromise even as the company founders in its own mediocrity. The layoff, the reorgs, all have protected upper management at the expense of everyone under them. Our pay isn't exactly stunning. Our benefits, once on par with Microsoft, have been slashed for 2014. Retention is a real issue at present, as folks continue to flee. Upward mobility isn't really an option - there's little effort spent in growing employees, especially non-developer employees. There's no thought of "career" here for anyone other than management.
    Simplicity has been eschewed for an ever-increasing welter of conflicting decisions and directions, based on short-term reactions. Our software contains overly complex implementations of designs that weren't well thought out to begin with, pushed to customers for "off-label" purposes. Our business practices have changed repeatedly, as well - we've implemented three completely different SDLC directions in less than a year, for example, with each change meant to get more work out of fewer people.
    Teamwork is right out, as groups are now scrabbling for resources. Siloed groups working vertically and with less communication than expected on individual features for the same product mean real trouble for large products, but that's what we're doing right now.

Pick a direction and stick with it for a while. Take a more holistic view of "the product." Stop sacrificing headcount to ensure that the company's ledger looks better to their investors. Actually follow Caradigm's pillars.

There are newer employer reviews for Caradigm