Carbonite

www.carbonite.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Carbonite

Started out great, has no where to go but down.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Previously, Technician Now in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Although barely consumable, there is free coffee. For the time decent monthly bonus potential.

The Boston office is much more relaxed, and has more freedom. Ideally you will want this location.

Cons

The Lewiston customer service representatives and technicians are treated like dirt. All of the following are acts that have been witnessed on more than one occurrence.

Supervisors and team leads are not very intelligent. A select few from the senior staff are great, but most are lacking; you will find much more help from your fellow workers.

No personal electronics allowed, not even in your pockets, not even in your desk. Employees were told this rule is in place for security reasons but this restriction has gone from no personal electronics to no communication at all other than monitored chats. Carbonite will not allow you to listen to streaming music while performing chats or emails any more. Breaking of this specific rule will result in termination.

The company will neglect your retention and referral bonuses unless you 'remind' them when the time comes.

Seating is poorly regulated. You or your neighbor can be expected to be moved typically every three weeks. This makes it hard to build relationships with your coworkers.

The company lacks priorities and care for their long-term employees. Senior employees have a more difficult time getting days off. I've personally been passed up on an opportunity I was promised an interview for due to a 10 day vacation.

Whenever you advance your senior employee privileges are essentially reset for whichever level you were promoted to. This means you will be the last considered when shifts are handed out or picked. Additionally, when promoted you are put on a '60 day learning' period where you won't earn the promotion pay but will be held to the promotion standards. You can and will lose bonuses and be punished for mistakes during the learning period. Essentially it's Carbonite's way of getting the extra work out of you while getting to pay you less.

Policies are always changing, information is rarely in sync.

There's little point in leaving advice for a company that is and will continue to cripple themselves.

I'm disappointed that now I have so little good to say as when I first started over a year ago I had nothing bad to say.

Quitting when I find a new job.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Carbonite (View Most Recent)

Dynamic Start-up

Former Employee - Managerial in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Managerial in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great, "hot" company in Boston area. Good to have a on a resume. Fantastic products.

Cons

Pay is only average. Constant change of direction

Great place for working

Former Intern - Summer Mobile Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Summer Mobile Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

small group, working with senior developers

Cons

testing part of job is not that interesting

There are newer employer reviews for Carbonite