There are newer employer reviews for Carbonite

If your good at what you do, this is the company for you!! You MUST value customer service to work here, remember that!

Current Employee - I Wear Many "hats"  in  Lewiston, ME
Current Employee - I Wear Many "hats" in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a secure comfortable work place. They have an xbox with a flat screen tv and the employees vote on a new game every month that the company buys for emloyees to enjoy on their breaks. A leather couch and two leather recliners also are available in the break area. The company pays a portion of the vending maching price to keep the costs for employees down, thess are GREAT benefits in my opinion... In addition to the hourly wage there are often different incentive "games" where the agents can win actual money, sometimes up to $100 a pop, or they are fond of subway or dunkin gift cards, either way, it's FREE!!! Most recently they have been giving FREE snacks to whoever wants them, bananas, apples, granola bars... they are promoting healthy eating, and THEY pay for it!! In the past we also had FREE soda, that was quickly abused and had to be taken away becasue of GREEDY people taking cans home for their spouse or for them to enjoy while they are NOT AT WORK. :( The comany really does consider the customers their number 1 priority, your customer service skills need to excell to the highest level if you want to work there, they will not accept less!!!

Cons

Too many changes...it frustrates employees and brings moral down. It takes FOREVER to actually get an idea implimented, even if it's to the benefit of the company.

Try to stay consistent, allow senior employees to get a better shift than the "newbies" NOTHING is more frustrating to a senior agent than seeing a newb walk out the door at 530 and them being stuck at their desk until 7.....stop making EVERYTHING such a PROCESS...if it makes sense DO IT!

31 Other Employee Reviews for Carbonite (View Most Recent)

where is this ride taking us?

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

smart, dedicated, hard-working people who get along well; fun culture with free snacks and beer; numerous company outings throughout the year

Cons

company needs to deal with a couple of key people who are not contributing or not empowering smart people to do their jobs

what is leadership doing to ensure we can compete in the longer-term as it gets more competitive and people turn to mobile devices?

Started out great, has no where to go but down.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Previously, Technician Now  in  Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Previously, Technician Now in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although barely consumable, there is free coffee. For the time decent monthly bonus potential.

The Boston office is much more relaxed, and has more freedom. Ideally you will want this location.

Cons

The Lewiston customer service representatives and technicians are treated like dirt. All of the following are acts that have been witnessed on more than one occurrence.

Supervisors and team leads are not very intelligent. A select few from the senior staff are great, but most are lacking; you will find much more help from your fellow workers.

No personal electronics allowed, not even in your pockets, not even in your desk. Employees were told this rule is in place for security reasons but this restriction has gone from no personal electronics to no communication at all other than monitored chats. Carbonite will not allow you to listen to streaming music while performing chats or emails any more. Breaking of this specific rule will result in termination.

The company will neglect your retention and referral bonuses unless you 'remind' them when the time comes.

Seating is poorly regulated. You or your neighbor can be expected to be moved typically every three weeks. This makes it hard to build relationships with your coworkers.

The company lacks priorities and care for their long-term employees. Senior employees have a more difficult time getting days off. I've personally been passed up on an opportunity I was promised an interview for due to a 10 day vacation.

Whenever you advance your senior employee privileges are essentially reset for whichever level you were promoted to. This means you will be the last considered when shifts are handed out or picked. Additionally, when promoted you are put on a '60 day learning' period where you won't earn the promotion pay but will be held to the promotion standards. You can and will lose bonuses and be punished for mistakes during the learning period. Essentially it's Carbonite's way of getting the extra work out of you while getting to pay you less.

Policies are always changing, information is rarely in sync.

There's little point in leaving advice for a company that is and will continue to cripple themselves.

I'm disappointed that now I have so little good to say as when I first started over a year ago I had nothing bad to say.

Quitting when I find a new job.

There are newer employer reviews for Carbonite

Worked for Carbonite? Contribute to the Community!