Cardinal Fitness

www.cardinalfitness.com
  www.cardinalfitness.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cardinal Fitness

It ended up being a very disappointing experience.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
Former Employee - Personal Trainer

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

Pay per session is slightly higher than in most clubs (not counting higher end places like Lifetime Fitness). Encourage NASM which is what I personally prefer. Ok if you're just trying to break into the business but keep looking for other opportunities elsewhere because chances are you'll dislike the place within 3 months.

Cons

I wasn't there for long but when I talked to the "GM" of the club when I first started they said that the whole company had just introduced a personal training feature. I was getting to know her and asked her about her industry background she said she hadn't been in fitness long and that she was afraid of selling personal training because she never did it before and didn't even know how to do it. When I asked her what type of sales and product training she was given before they introduced it she literally said "NONE." She then said that upper management was putting a lot of pressure on the GMs to meet sales goals and she was worried because other GMs were losing their jobs for not selling enough personal training packages.

After being told to attend "a mandatory personal training meeting" it wasn't long before I realized that the upper managers had NO IDEA about how to sell personal training either! And here they were trying to tell us how to effectively sell a product that they almost literally had no firsthand experience selling! (I've been a full time personal trainer with a solid sales track record for 5 years before going there). Using silly anecdotes like "Personal Training is like a GPS" and "Tell them their Cable TV won't help them get in shape so cancel it and invest in training." And during mock sales scenarios these upper managers could not even explain to me something as simple as body composition. It was literally the blind leading the blind, and the cockiness of the upper managers was outrageous.

When you're actually training clients it is unbearable. Most of my clients wanted to train at night and you can forget about getting at either the one smith machine or the one squat rack. Impossible to keep a session flowing when you have to quickly change up routines because the tools you need are already in use. Frustrating when thoughts like "I wanted to show you the basics of form but I can't because there are five 18 year old kids hogging the smith machine" pop into your mind. Another thing the upper managers told us was that at their prices there was no reason why a club couldn't sell $30,000 a month because it's so much cheaper than the competition. What they DON'T recognize is it's like training in a sardine can so when you look at it like that the value isn't really that good for the customer.

It gives me no pleasure to put it in these terms but honestly you should be ashamed for beginning a "Personal Training" program in some of the ways that you did. It was to the point of unprofessional. You forced it into the club without even insuring that your sales staff had the product knowledge to sell it properly. You don't even know how to sell it yourselves!!! (A Senior manager even admitted to me he had no experience selling training packages.) Way to send the workers that try to run a good club for you down the road of failure. This experience really left a bitter taste. Good luck.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Cardinal Fitness (View Most Recent)

Having NO job is better than working here. That is not a joke.

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

You get to know a lot of good people like the members and your fellow co-workers. You learn a little bit of a lot of areas that can come in handy later on when going for another job. You get an idea about what it is like to run a business.

Cons

This is not an exaggeration, this is telling the honest truth. If you are not connected or in their click, you will go nowhere, period. It seemed that everyone in their positions was because they were dating their boss, related to someone in a high position, or they went to college with the owners. So it's already understood that you will never go very far, unless you become General manager in which case you still dont get offered any health insurance and only hear from your bosses if you do something wrong. I don't think I ever got positive feedback when I went above and beyond, you only heard from your manager when you did something wrong. This company is micromanaged to the extreme. They FORCE you to work a minimum of 45 hours a week and expect you to put in hours of your own time off the clock to promote THEIR business! (is that even legal?!?!?) I regularly found myself working 50 or more hours a week then actually came in 2 hours under 45 hours one week and was threatened with a writeup the next time I did it again. They make the buck stop with you for anything that goes wrong in the club where youre working and it doesnt matter if its your fault or not. Ridiculous deadlines all the time like taking pictures of signs and e-mailing them to your "reps" so they can verify you hung up the sign in the right places in the club. You miss a deadline, automatic writeup. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I left there. I HATED getting up for work every morning knowing I was going to a place where I had no chance for advancment and would be unappreciated.

The saddest thing is, almost everyone in the company feels like this and either the owners are ignorant to that fact or they pretend they dont see it. A lot of them talked about quitting if only they really need the money. But almost all of them said they were on the lookout for other jobs. The owners are lucky that they still have people there to run their gyms. One day they will realize that they wished they had appreciated some really good hardworking people while they were there. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I left there.

Politics, politics, politics

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

You are given a chance when you get a job there. They will teach you the things that you need to know. They want you to be able to do a good job. Good place for the resume.

Cons

Well the place is very political. If you are not "in" with them you have no chance. It is very important to be connected in some way. The worst is the pay and benefits. There are no benefits and the pay is poor. What they do, which I guess is smart on their part, is brainwash these young kids into the theory of "if you work hard you will get your own gym one day" Basically asking these kids to work for peanuts for years and one day they might get a "percentage" in a club. Now the chances of this actually happening are extremely slim especially if you are not connected. It is sad because so many people fall for it, myself included. They are sales people and they are even using it on their own employees. Also most of the company is disgruntled so the overall mood is not positive.

You need to treat those who have been with you for years better. You have seen people who have worked for the company for 2-5 years leave and you need to understand why. You are not taking care of them like you need to.

There are newer employer reviews for Cardinal Fitness