Cardinal Solutions

There are newer employer reviews for Cardinal Solutions

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I highly recommend Cardinal to anyone looking for a rewarding career in consulting. They do a great job coaching/mentoring young consultants and developing senior talent. A few of the reviews for Columbus are negative, and I could not disagree more. I have been a part of the company for nearly two years and it has been the most rewarding venture in my career thus far. There is a unique culture that not everyone is a fit for, but in my opinion, people here work hard and play hard. I have learned more from the other consultants than I ever expected to at a company. It is a very rewarding place to work. Not all assignments are perfect, but that is consulting.

Cons

Need to diversify the client base but I have noticed they are making headway. Continue to focus on new strategic consulting gigs and less staff aug.

See cons

40 Other Employee Reviews for Cardinal Solutions (View Most Recent)

My good, bad, and ugly experiences

Former Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Loved our recently departed practice manager - He seemingly left for greater opportunity
    2. Compensation was good (loved the medical benefits)
    3. Some great people
    4. Strong client base in most locations

I really wanted more on this side of the scale but the lack of obvious pros over the standards drove my overall score down. I was leaning high coming into the review; however, a lack of clear pros established an overall score based on the lack of balance.

Cons

1. Fighting a perception of a staff augmentation stigma versus embracing the reality of consulting services, which typically means staff augmentation roles supported by strategic opportunities (by nature of the beast)
    2. So worried about maintaining consensus leadership that they appear to have forgotten that divergent ideas are often the foundation of innovation
    3. Thin on the very senior experience side of the balance sheet in the Columbus office
    4. High attrition rate - very few long-term employees in the Columbus office
    5. No clear focus on business direction or it's clear to leadership and they don't effectively share the vision
    6. Rewards those who are part of the consensus to a fault
    7. Forgot that people notice actions over words. What you reward is what employees inspire to emulate. Appear to support short-term reaction over long-term purpose
    8. Recent trend toward strong arm tactics over servant leadership
    9. Strong push for internal consultant participation beyond the client engagement obligations. Hurts the consultant focus on client first mentality essential to maintain exceptional customer satisfaction ratings. What business model doesn't put the client first?
    10. Location, location, location - odd inconsistency in consultant makeup throughout various locations
    11. Examine the office politics in detail to avoid a poor personal fit. Not all offices are the same

Pay more attention to the Columbus office as large attrition figures represent a costly adventure.

Join the "In Crowd" or "Get out Fast"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation
    Great opportunity for paid internships (future stars) - could use the opportunity to learn for a year

Cons

Clickish culture
    Leadership is command and control (old school)
    Inexperienced consultants
    Promotions and raises based on who you know (in crowd)
    No idea how to run a professional consulting firm
    Staff augmentation reality with a strategic consulting sales pitch to prospects

Hire some professional leadership. The growth from within strategy means more of the same failures that are driving the experts away. The best practice manager you had walked due to lack of opportunity. Like minded consensus equals continued decline in 2013

There are newer employer reviews for Cardinal Solutions

Worked for Cardinal Solutions? Contribute to the Community!