Cardno
www.cardno.com Brisbane, Australia 5000+ Employees

Cardno ATC (Formerly ATC Associates)

Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than a year

ProsPlenty of opportunity due to disfunctional structure. If management, specifically at the corporate level, can remove the road blocks there is plenty of opportunity to make something happen at this company. However, there have been no signs of change during my time here.

A significant pro, is that if you wish to stay at a set level with no expectation of advancement it is the perfect place for employment. There are some that fit this, however if you are a motivated individual looking to learn, advance, and really make a career for yourself, THIS IS NOT the place for you unless significant changes are made.

ConsNO TEAMWORK - Each office and almost each person works individually. Each office is an individual profit/loss center and hence office compete for same clients and work in many instances. Additionally, the "sales" group (National Accounts) are reportedly judged on gross sales NOT profitability. However the offices are judged on profitability. These are in direct conflict. More times than not, proposals are set at a loss. So offices basically cannot meet their profitibility easily without hiding hours written off (i.e. don't bill overages). They reportedly have had only one raise in the past five years. Although this is not a reason that I am a disgruntled employee, it speaks volumes to the way the business is being managed.

Corporate management does not give the authority to the branch managers to do anything about the aforementioned situations. Branch managers often have the same observations I have had, but are powerless to do anything. They appear more interested in keeping the feifdom than growing the business. It is the most combative environment to work in that I have experienced. Very unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate level staff need to thoroughly evaluate their system, obtain feedback from the office level employees (i.e. Branch and Division Managers), and look to make adjustments to reduce the internal road blocks this company has in place.

Great first job, gained a lot of valuable experience but professional growth is difficult

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)
Concord, CA

I have been working at Cardno

Pros: Really fun work and lots of opportunities to gain valuable experience for recent grads.Lots of things are changing with the recent merger with Cardno. Some… Cons: Promotion is completely arbitrary within the company and largely depends on the office you work out off, the working group you are in and especially… Advice to Senior Management: Provide lower level employees more professional training. Prompt middle managers to give constructive criticism.… More

Life and times at Cardno

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Coworkers Flexible work arrangements Opportunities Cons: Renumeration Leadership Management Development Big City driven, less focus on… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Cardno.

Worked for Cardno? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cardno reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cardno CEO Michael Renshaw . All reviews posted anonymously by Cardno employees.