There are newer employer reviews for Care.com

Good mission, but that's about it

I worked at Care.com full-time

Pros

There are free bagels on Friday. Unlimited sick days. Depending on the group you are in, there's a decent amount of flexibility to work from home when needed. The company is definitely growing and doing well.

Cons

To start, it's a 50 hour minimum work week, and your salary will not reflect that. There is not an idea of a work-life balance at Care.com. Most teams are expected to be available nights and weekends (check/respond to emails, work on projects, etc ). The compensation is definitely not competitive for the industry, and that's across all departments. The promotion, raise and bonus structures are blindly determined by what the executive management team think is appropriate for people they barely interact with, not based on an individual's performance or even a manager's recommendation.

Advancement within the company can also be difficult (depending on the department). Very few people have a clear growth path. Promotions are hard to obtain as the company tends to hire externally rather than looking for internal candidates who may be completely qualified for a role. Switching teams has also proven to be extremely difficult for some. If you express interest in a different position (outside of your current group), it is not uncommon for you to be told that you are "too valuable in your current role" to apply for another position.

Employees at a director level and below have no authority to make any type of call on a project or in some cases even how to run their own team. Everything goes through the executive management team, most things straight to the CEO. This is understandable from a high-level strategy perspective, but teams are never allowed to just run with something. The management team insists on reviewing everything, from the copy on a little banner ad to full product launch. No one is empowered to make a decision and it can make you feel undervalued and affects morale.

At the end of the day everyone wants to work with nice people and contribute to a positive culture in the office. Sadly, Care.com does not really encourage people to be individuals, have anything less than a bubbly personality 24/7 or express a difference of opinion. They preach about how important the culture is and how transparent they are with everyone, but really they tell you what they want you to know and spin everything. Unfortunately it really is a "drink the Kool-aid" environment. If you disagree or push back on anything, you're labeled as difficult. If you speak up about being overworked, burnt out, or are just having a bad day one day it can prove to be a career limiting for you.

Trust your employees and don't be afraid of change. You put so much emphasis on the importance of hiring the right people... trust them to do the job you've hired them to do. You also pride yourself in saying you are a testing environment. But are you really? Companies excel when you listen to people with new, fresh ideas. It's not a bad idea just because you haven't done it before or if someone can't provide you with 50 other industry examples of someone else already doing it. You might be missing out on a great opportunity because you are afraid to think outside the box or admit someone below a VP level might have a solid idea.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Care.com (View Most Recent)

Fast-growing company. Stay here for 5 years, and you're resume will look great forever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Care.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the position you have, you will have a lot of work thrown at you. Amazing growth opportunities and the chance to rise up the ranks and the firm grows. And it is growing!

Cons

It's not uncommon for people to work 7 days a week for horribly low pay. With the fast growth, you also have a lot of superstar individuals who're now in managerial positions. They've never managed before and you never want to work under a rookie manager. It is painful. .

The values you state at the company meetings are not the ones you practice. We know that. We discuss these things in our own private groups and at our office lunches. But with the kind of opportunities you offer, who would leave? You look great on my resume. This is no longer the "we're all here together as a family" and "honesty & openness" start-up I joined. And the way we're growing, I'm okay bearing with that.

Great Company, Great Services, but Lacking in Hiring Knowledge

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great leadership team, fantastic employee benefits, good hours, nice new office.

Cons

I think they were so quick to hire someone for their posted position, they didn't focus on what they really needed and instead just hired someone that they "thought" would fit. Instead, they needed something different, and I was let go after about 90 days. My skills in certain areas were a perfect fit, however in one big area they were not, and unfortunately that was enough for me to be let go. Also, they expect you in the office 45-50 hours a week, plus my position included working nights and weekends on top of that. It's a struggle to find a work-life balance when you work that much.

I was the third person hired for that position that didn't work out. I think they need to re-evaluate what they need before they hire again. This could go for all positions, it's important to hire smartly.

There are newer employer reviews for Care.com