There are newer employer reviews for CareCore National

To say it is a dysfunctional organization would be the understatement of the century.

Current Employee - Service Representative
Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at CareCore National

Pros

Decent salaries offered, if you are in South Carolina you are about 20 minutes from the beach, cost of living is relatively cheap, offices are new

Cons

Everything else.

The benefits are terrible: Vacation time is pathetic considering it is PTO and is used for all time away from the office. 90-day waiting period to get health ins. One year + waiting period for 401(k) with no match.

Employees are treated like garbage at all levels. People at all levels are turning over at this place all the time. VP's live in fear of the CEO and COO. If clients don't like the message you communicate, they simply call the COO and head's roll. No departments are trained. Account managers do not understand what is expected by their clients, management in all departments and at all levels don't understand what is needed to succeed, and the company changes focus like a three year old on speed.

If you like working under the gun, having your continued employment being threatened all of the time, and devoting all of your nights and weekends to a job, then you'll probably enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people and you need to start treating them like that. You have good people on your staff who want to do a good job but you refuse to treat them like nothing more than trash. Bring your benefit package into the 21st century. Align goals and communicate to all of your managers and employees. Drop the fear and intimidation stuff. In the years I've been here I've seen very good people leave for no other reason than they were made to hate it by the big shots. This isn't good.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Clinical Reviewer RN

Current Employee - Clinical Reviewer/RN in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Clinical Reviewer/RN in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CareCore National full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, various shifts available, multiple department jobs available from time to time, off on all holidays and weekends unless you volunteer to work those days, overtime always available.

Cons

Health insurance is high deductible, sometimes feel micromanaged, can get stressful calls. Calls all day with no break time in between.

Advice to Management

Hire supervisors that have worked for at least three years in a clinical reviewer position before hiring to management.

They promised change with the merger - and they did, but not for the better.

Current Employee - CDS Pathforward in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - CDS Pathforward in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CareCore National full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to first point out that although there are very few pros to working at this company, in the interest of showing this isn't just a rant from a lazy employee I will list a few:

Immediate non-clinical supervisors: I have seen people complain about them in these reviews. My experience (after having two so far) is that they are limited in what they are allowed to do. Both of my supervisors have been truly amazing and supportive regarding all of the cons posted below. However, they are often overworked, being pulled every which way to were despite their good intentions, they aren't able to provide anything but moral support.

Non-clinical agent coworkers: Nearly everyone I have worked with who is in my position have been a true pleasure to work with. We do not have a large company-wide "culture", but the close knit groups of people that gather really do improve your day. It also helps that they do understand the frustration of working for this company, so you kind of have a brother-in-arms while working in the trenches.

Schedule: While the majority of this category is a con (see below), I will admit that it is nice to see a call center where you come in no earlier than 7 and leave no later than 7 (unless you're remote and choose differently). Also as of right now there are no weekend hours as we are not open.

Cons

Pay: The pay is the bare minimum for any self-respecting adult with a family. Also, please do not accept a job here as intake at this time. When I was first hired a year ago, I was (like all others) hired at $12 an hour. Months later, we implemented a new program (CDS Pathforward) which allows us to collect minor clinical information (more on that later) which we didn't have the ability to before. During the first few months for the initial groups of people that were moved in, they received a pay raise to $13.50 an hour (which is where I am still at). However, now the CDS program is the new standard. So essentially, any new employees hired will be expected to do the same work that I am but without the pay raise or proper training.

Flexibility: One of the biggest issues (and my main reason for writing a review) is the flexibility regarding time off and/or schedule changes. As of the time of writing, we currently are not offered any sick or vacation days. Everything is lumped under general PTO. The current accrual rate is 10 days a year on average. Please note that this PTO must be used for any absences or late/early departure. For example: I know several people, myself included, with chronic medical conditions. We obviously need to be able to make it to our appointments so we are able to perform at work. Good luck with that. You will fight for the right to improve your health whether it's a chronic condition or otherwise. It is almost impossible to get time off, and as of time of writing, our calendar is completely booked for PTO through the end of this year. Unless you have a good supervisor, you will not be approved for anything without them pulling strings for you - whether you have accumulated PTO or not. Also, in regard to unscheduled absences - they drain your PTO, but more importantly you accrue "occurrences". Each of these add up over time (you receive partial occurrences depending on hours missed on a shift or one full point for a missed day or over half of your shift remaining) and as they do you receive written warnings and face possible termination. You are expected to be at work, obviously. The ridiculous part is that if you miss work due to an illness and even if you bring a fully signed doctors note the next day, you still get an occurrence. I am literally afraid to get in a car accident on my way to work because even if I don't get injured, I could lose my job for something that I had no control over. These occurrences are not erased from your record until six months after getting them. Bottom line: work here only if at a perfect bill of health and willing to gamble your job on the drivers around you during your commute.

Auditing: At eviCore (formerly Carecore), all of your performance is based on audits. These audits are completely subjective in every way. We use outdated scripting for nearly ever word in our calls that are often written as if they assigned a child to come up with them. This means they are full of misspellings, run on sentences, and enough issues in general to make an English teacher faint. Reading them will make you sound like you are a complete imbecile. However, all are required in order to not fail your audits. Granted, certain scripting is legally required (regarding payment obligations and approvals). That is completely fine. However, why does it matter whether or not you say "May I please have the patients ID number" or the "correct" scripting of "To ensure I am entering clinical information into the correct medical record, may I have the members ID"? There are literally 30 more examples I could give like this. Also, we service roughly 40 + health plans. All have different scripting which you will have to remember. Oh, and if you get one word wrong, no matter if it is written in the system in a grammatically incorrect way, you fail an audit. It's that simple. You are not judged on how polite and professional you are. You are judged on your ability to memorize and read different scripts verbatim while acting as robotic as possible.

In regards to the new CDS positions - you are required to go through clinical information with the callers. This is something that was only created so they could fire and/or hire less nurses that get paid double what intake does. You fail audits and can face termination of employment for interpretation of clinical information as an employee who is not medically licensed (regardless of past job history as an MA, radiology tech, etc.) This makes perfect sense in avoiding issues in fraud when a caller could give symptoms and we suggest something like "Oh, that's kidney stones probably!" and get it approved based on that. However, that is not why this is a con. You must read every question and answer verbatim. Much like the scripts, they are grammatically incorrect and make you sound stupid. They are inconsistent for all tests and all health plans. You are forbidden to say anything but what is written on the page you are going through. For example, if you ask a question about whether the patient has hematuria (blood in the urine) and the caller doesn't know what it is - even if it is explained in a different test you go through - you can not tell them. Does your caller know what dyspnea is? Do they know what qualifies as radiating pain or past surgery? Do they even know what heart rate means? Well, hopefully they do! If they don't, all you are allowed to say is "I'm sorry but I'm not medically licensed and therefore I cannot interpret clinical information, is there someone in your office who may be able to assist you with that definition/question". Oh, for the record, that's also a verbatim script that you can fail on if you don't say it that way. You must pretend that you don't know anything whether its advanced terminology like cholangiopancreatography or something as simple as what a heart rate is. If you love simply collecting a paycheck without having to do anything but read, sound robotic, and without any thinking involved, you may love it here. You will sound stupid on these calls because of their rules and the callers will treat you as such. You have been warned.

Micromanagement: As stated in other reviews, you are micromanaged in ways that you haven't experienced since you were in middle school. Do you have to use the restroom? There is a button for that, make sure you press it! That way they know where you are when you aren't on the phone! Oh, do you require more than ten minutes of restroom time in a day? Better get a doctors note and wait at least a month until the department makes an exception for you. During that time, you'll show as not being adherent, so there goes any opportunities for advancement! Did you get a call right before break? Good on you for taking that! By the way, you're out of adherence since you're supposed to be on break. Though, that's better than us firing you for not taking the call! How lucky do you feel today? Because by simply doing your job and not leaving for break early, you could be punished!

Advancement: They will tell you we are growing and you can move up in this company. That was true a year ago. Since the merger, the only things we have opportunities for advancement in is computer programming positions (which you would have applied for in the first place) or senior directors. The only advancements you will get is to learn new departments, without a pay raise.

Benefits: For a company now called eviCore Healthcare, we do not care about the health of our employees. Our CEO stated that we added the "Healthcare" part of our name to us to show the market that we are a healthcare company. Oddly enough, we provide probably the worst health insurance I have ever seen. Expect to have between a $2,000 and $4,000 deductible before anything is paid for. Average prescription costs for most adults (on non-specialty drugs) will still run you a minimum of $200 a month - after your deductible is paid of course. Office visits cost exuberant amounts of money - though it doesn't matter as you'll never see a doctor due to your inability to get time off. The rest of the benefits are all the bare minimum they can provide. Nothing special. Also, if they have to advertise FMLA as a benefit, that should be a good indicator of what kind of company this is. That is a government mandated benefit. You are not doing any of us a favor by giving that to us, you are simply following federal law.

Bottom line is that by working here, more will be expected out of you without compensation for such. You will be payed the lowest salary they can in your state compared to surrounding call centers. You will be forced to work while you are vomiting at your desk or risk getting sick by those around you who are - unless you want to get an occurrence for missing work. You will get in trouble for having a health condition or missing work due to anything but a death in the immediate family or jury duty. You will have no opportunity for advancement. You will be judged entirely on your ability to read scripts that obviously were not ever read aloud by those who created them. Your audits will be subjective, with two agents getting different scores for the same issues on calls by the same auditor. Your adherence will mean everything and you will get in trouble for using the bathroom for more than ten minutes a day or getting a call before break that you have no choice to take.

Please, only work here if you have no other choice or if you have no problem making little money at a job that only requires that you have no outside life or health conditions, that requires you to be there every day and only read what you are given to the caller - without the need for you to demonstrate intelligence or any modicum of customer service. This company is a disgrace to the healthcare industry and a prime example of what is wrong with the healthcare system in this country.

Realize also that you profit off of people not getting treatments for cancer, or aneurysms, broken limbs, etc. True story: An agent received a call from a very upset patient whose daughter died of an aneurysm roughly 5 days after we denied her the MRI that could save her life. She was only 20 years old, and her life was worth less than the price of an MRI - roughly < $2,000.

If you can handle all of this, welcome aboard fellow brother-in arms!

Advice to Management

Instead of making your top yearly priorities (that all employees are given) all about obtaining new contracts with other health plans or making "intelligent acquisitions" of other companies in our field, maybe you should take care of your employees regarding all problems listed above and focus on those who matter the most: The people whose lives we hold in our hands.