CareFusion

There are newer employer reviews for CareFusion

Avoid if you can

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at CareFusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice location in sunny Sun Diego. Most likely stable job in the medical devices industry which is great in the times of bad economy.

Cons

Very political. Expect others take credit for your work or be thrown under the bus by incompetent co-workers. Poor software engineering practices - they are pretty much non-existent. Code reviews are done by a committee of 3-4 people who walk in the conference room and never seen your code before. For them it is pretty much a regulatory formality of medical industry to do code reviews and has nothing to do with any type of software engineering. Poor design and implementation of code which is normally just a bunch of spaghetti code.

There are many contractors at the company which just come and go. Presumably, this practice allows company to save cost but with people also goes knowledge. Very high attrition rate among product and project management employees. I was a witness when people just walked out of the door without giving required two weeks notice or after spending just 2-3 months with the company because they were burned down.

Increase your hiring bar for software engineer roles

412 Other Employee Reviews for CareFusion (View Most Recent)

Could be a great company?

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CareFusion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits. Work from home with the freedom of scheduling your own workday, most of the time. Not too much overtime depending on where you live.

Cons

24X7 job. You may get every other weekend off. Short staffed all the time with short sighted middle management. Constantly being told how we should be doing our job by a bunch of people that have never been in the field and have no clue what challenges we face each day.

Not Great All of the Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CareFusion

Pros

Our products are awesome. We have great people here. My mangers give great feedback and support me. I am succeeding here.

Cons

Too many FTEs walking around worried about losing their jobs everyday. This creates a tremendously stressful environment - imagine how people interact in meetings, on deadlines, etc when we are thinking "it's every man for himself!" I have been subjected to countless meetings of misery.

I felt so cheated when we were forced to take two unpaid days off to meet quarterly numbers - I will never forget that.
    Many of us hit by the recession still live paycheck to paycheck. One week notice to receive a shortened paycheck, and as a non-FTE I was not able to rely on PTO or sick time to compensate for the hit - that was brutal. I already have had to deal with mediocre options in purchasing health insurance in the private market these last 5 years as a consultant/contractor that has never met my needs as a human being. Stop sticking it to the little guy - we just want to be happy and not worry about survival stuff. Contemplate what it is like to be in our shoes and provide us with the tools we need to focus on being successful - please!

There are newer employer reviews for CareFusion