There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

-CTU Online: Good opportunity for Entry-Level Sales Position with Room for Advancement-

Former Employee - Associate Student Manager  in  Downers Grove, IL
Former Employee - Associate Student Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Starting salary is fairly decent for and entry-level employee
-Support and training is readily available
-Work environment promotes team focused environment.

The school I worked for was Colorado Technical University OnlineThere are many other pluses, but those are the basics that somebody entering an entry-level position should be looking for. The company has undergone many developments due to Department of Education regulations and standards that have affected for-profit institutions industry wide. That being said, I was unfortunately a part of the mix of employees that were let go due to quotas.

There is an intense training that each employee completes, you are placed on a team and the staff typically welcome all newcomers (there usually are a lot due to attrition). I don't think that there is a high turnover due to the type of work, pay, benefits etc., I believe completely that it is because a lot of young employees derive from the "entitlement" generation and have unrealistic views of what a sales position is going to be.

CEC offers a lot of opportunities and I was promoted a few times within a few years, the difference between myself and others is that I was not a recent college graduate that had a skewed view on how the real world works. Here's the thing, in sales, any type of beginning level, there are going to be the following: Weird work hours, lots of turnover, constant training activities, a budget you have to hit, and high expectations of work production and results.

The main problem I witnessed with a lot of employees was that they did not want to be on the phone, cold or warm call, and felt that because they recently received their degree, that means they can pay more attention to social media and sending text messages instead of working hard.

Cons

-High turnover leads to fear, low morale, and a "who's leaving next" mentality
-Politics throughout the office (but that is expected anywhere in Corporate America)
-Team placement involves too many number related categories

The old phrase goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", unfortunately CEC does this frequently and especially at CTU Online. If there is a team or group of team members that work well with each other, or certain members of management.....then leave them be!

One of the issues with a lot of employees was the fact that you switched teams constantly. Some liked it some didn't, they eventually changed it to a annual "tour bid" with a team when it was previously six months. Either way, the frequent tossing around of workers didn't meld well with a lot of folks, especially myself. My team was one of the top producers and the best people were split and some were kept and it was never the same. Often times the best talent would be wasted because they would move team to team and not fit well as previously experienced.

-Utilize the talent that is in front of you! A lot of people wanted to advance or work extra but management was more concerned with their own numbers rather that employee satisfaction.
-Politics is expected, but upper-management needs to control favoritism when it leads to a few exceeding budget and others are terminated.
-Managers should receive "Change Management" training because for the most part, the leaders did not lead well while the company was overhauling its structure.

168 Other Employee Reviews for Career Education (View Most Recent)

Decent (or above) salary, great co-workers, current problems and layoffs in process

Current Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love my co-workers! Great work-life balance and focus. Good salary, especially for young adults first entering workforce; which is extremely common. Upper management make selves open and available to all and are. Yearly employee surveys, with followup of results, action plans, goals, and progress. Continual focus to attempt to increase employee morale and recognition. Structured monthly one-to-one employee-manager meetings and manager involvement of "next step" for advancement.

Cons

Recent schools closing announcements (23), 900 laid off and hundreds more imminent. Too many management, leaders, and layers (directors upon directors). Advancements not always given to most qualified; many 'chosen' ones climb the ladder extremely quickly. Disconnect among departments, especially between campuses and corporate. Regulatory and policies not always consistent with what is actually done.

You say you care about students and employees, talk integrity and excellence, but in reality, it's only talk. Senior management say to come to them; they listen and say will do something about, but never do. You have many quality systems and departments in place, but lack accountability and ensurance of the completion. Metrics in place to emphasize productivity, but these systems cause quality of work to be compromised.

Keep on Looking.....

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is competitive, that's it

Cons

Cutthroat enrvironment, more sexual harassment than you can imagine

Learn how to be managers before attempting it

There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

Worked for Career Education? Contribute to the Community!