There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

-CTU Online: Good opportunity for Entry-Level Sales Position with Room for Advancement-

Former Employee - Associate Student Manager in Downers Grove, IL
Former Employee - Associate Student Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Starting salary is fairly decent for and entry-level employee
-Support and training is readily available
-Work environment promotes team focused environment.

The school I worked for was Colorado Technical University OnlineThere are many other pluses, but those are the basics that somebody entering an entry-level position should be looking for. The company has undergone many developments due to Department of Education regulations and standards that have affected for-profit institutions industry wide. That being said, I was unfortunately a part of the mix of employees that were let go due to quotas.

There is an intense training that each employee completes, you are placed on a team and the staff typically welcome all newcomers (there usually are a lot due to attrition). I don't think that there is a high turnover due to the type of work, pay, benefits etc., I believe completely that it is because a lot of young employees derive from the "entitlement" generation and have unrealistic views of what a sales position is going to be.

CEC offers a lot of opportunities and I was promoted a few times within a few years, the difference between myself and others is that I was not a recent college graduate that had a skewed view on how the real world works. Here's the thing, in sales, any type of beginning level, there are going to be the following: Weird work hours, lots of turnover, constant training activities, a budget you have to hit, and high expectations of work production and results.

The main problem I witnessed with a lot of employees was that they did not want to be on the phone, cold or warm call, and felt that because they recently received their degree, that means they can pay more attention to social media and sending text messages instead of working hard.

Cons

-High turnover leads to fear, low morale, and a "who's leaving next" mentality
-Politics throughout the office (but that is expected anywhere in Corporate America)
-Team placement involves too many number related categories

The old phrase goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", unfortunately CEC does this frequently and especially at CTU Online. If there is a team or group of team members that work well with each other, or certain members of management.....then leave them be!

One of the issues with a lot of employees was the fact that you switched teams constantly. Some liked it some didn't, they eventually changed it to a annual "tour bid" with a team when it was previously six months. Either way, the frequent tossing around of workers didn't meld well with a lot of folks, especially myself. My team was one of the top producers and the best people were split and some were kept and it was never the same. Often times the best talent would be wasted because they would move team to team and not fit well as previously experienced.

Advice to Management

-Utilize the talent that is in front of you! A lot of people wanted to advance or work extra but management was more concerned with their own numbers rather that employee satisfaction.
-Politics is expected, but upper-management needs to control favoritism when it leads to a few exceeding budget and others are terminated.
-Managers should receive "Change Management" training because for the most part, the leaders did not lead well while the company was overhauling its structure.

reviews filtered by
  1. Keep on Looking.....

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, that's it

Cons

Cutthroat enrvironment, more sexual harassment than you can imagine

Advice to Management

Learn how to be managers before attempting it

Easy to start, but becomes a morally depressing environment.

Former Employee - Admissions Representativte in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representativte in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Career Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview procecc went so smooth, was guided right through it. Makes one almost think of quantity over quality hmm???

Cons

Pay is low considering that it essentially is a sales job w/out commission (educational institutes apparently can't pay commissions/bonuses) so typically a higher salary applies. The work environment is extremely depressing w/managers coming down on the reps so hard that the employees tend to lose their confidence and decline in their enrollment numbers. Were there a morale boost and ongoing training efforts employees would do significantly better and there wouldn't be such a high employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Invest more money in keeping up the teams morale boost + providing ongoing training & happiness at the work envirnment; And I guarantee you that student enrollment will go up as the employee turnover rate goes down.