Career Education

www.careered.com
There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

Good Company, bad times for proprietary ed

Current Employee - Instructor in Skokie, IL
Current Employee - Instructor in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, excellent life/work balance, wonderful coworkers.

Cons

Economy and how it is posing challenges to this industry.

Listen to people that work on the campuses.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Career Education (View Most Recent)

military admissions adviser position = high pressure telemarketing sales

Current Employee - Military Admissions Adviser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Military Admissions Adviser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

pay is decent, a new employee can make as much as $40k a year with full benefits. Even if you're terrible at your job you can easily slip through the cracks and go unnoticed long enough to find a better job

Cons

You are not an "admissions adviser", you are sales person. Your role is to enroll every person they transfer to you no matter what kind of education they are looking for. You're "trained" to talk veterans into blindly signing over their education benefits for a degree that is pretty much useless.

Micromanagement CONSTANTLY.

Multiple supervisors to answer to

The company is falling apart under mismanagement. They are constantly changing everything. In the last year I've had over a half dozen supervisors. The company is constantly under the scrutiny of the department of education for it's policies and mismanagement

Cut your losses and pull out of the education business. You have no idea what you are doing and are harming far too many people in the process

-CTU Online: Good opportunity for Entry-Level Sales Position with Room for Advancement-

Former Employee - Associate Student Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Student Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Starting salary is fairly decent for and entry-level employee
    -Support and training is readily available
    -Work environment promotes team focused environment.

The school I worked for was Colorado Technical University OnlineThere are many other pluses, but those are the basics that somebody entering an entry-level position should be looking for. The company has undergone many developments due to Department of Education regulations and standards that have affected for-profit institutions industry wide. That being said, I was unfortunately a part of the mix of employees that were let go due to quotas.

There is an intense training that each employee completes, you are placed on a team and the staff typically welcome all newcomers (there usually are a lot due to attrition). I don't think that there is a high turnover due to the type of work, pay, benefits etc., I believe completely that it is because a lot of young employees derive from the "entitlement" generation and have unrealistic views of what a sales position is going to be.

CEC offers a lot of opportunities and I was promoted a few times within a few years, the difference between myself and others is that I was not a recent college graduate that had a skewed view on how the real world works. Here's the thing, in sales, any type of beginning level, there are going to be the following: Weird work hours, lots of turnover, constant training activities, a budget you have to hit, and high expectations of work production and results.

The main problem I witnessed with a lot of employees was that they did not want to be on the phone, cold or warm call, and felt that because they recently received their degree, that means they can pay more attention to social media and sending text messages instead of working hard.

Cons

-High turnover leads to fear, low morale, and a "who's leaving next" mentality
    -Politics throughout the office (but that is expected anywhere in Corporate America)
    -Team placement involves too many number related categories

The old phrase goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", unfortunately CEC does this frequently and especially at CTU Online. If there is a team or group of team members that work well with each other, or certain members of management.....then leave them be!

One of the issues with a lot of employees was the fact that you switched teams constantly. Some liked it some didn't, they eventually changed it to a annual "tour bid" with a team when it was previously six months. Either way, the frequent tossing around of workers didn't meld well with a lot of folks, especially myself. My team was one of the top producers and the best people were split and some were kept and it was never the same. Often times the best talent would be wasted because they would move team to team and not fit well as previously experienced.

-Utilize the talent that is in front of you! A lot of people wanted to advance or work extra but management was more concerned with their own numbers rather that employee satisfaction.
    -Politics is expected, but upper-management needs to control favoritism when it leads to a few exceeding budget and others are terminated.
    -Managers should receive "Change Management" training because for the most part, the leaders did not lead well while the company was overhauling its structure.

There are newer employer reviews for Career Education