There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

Constant faculty turn over.

Former Employee - Recruiter
Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunity for entry level college faculty. Anyone who would like to get their first opportunity as college faculty member could get some experience here.

Cons

Constant course schedule changes make it difficult to hold onto faculty for more than a semester. The pay is low for the faculty about half of what they could be paid at a traditional college.

168 Other Employee Reviews for Career Education (View Most Recent)

It has taught me to adapt to changes easily and quickly.

I have been working at Career Education full-time

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits in this market. Management is supportive of its employees. Employees are dedicated to their tasks at hand, skilled staff and passionate instructors. The student population can be delightful.

Cons

Corporate seems to have little understanding of how things work at each individual campus. In an attempt to standardize policies and procedures across all campuses, they fail to recognize that some markets have special needs in order to be successful.

Stay away, not worth the stress.

I worked at Career Education

Pros

Hard to say, when I first started an effort was made to keep employees happy - lunches, great benefits, promotions/raises...there aren't many pros as you will continue to read below...

Cons

Over the last 2-3 years it had been an emotional anxiety roller coaster of "am I gonna be fired" to "will my job be cut?" Jobs were (and continue to be cut) management made more and more demands, thus creating a stressful and heavier workload and then tried to justify it by saying "be thankful you have a job"

- Anyone (especially students) can complain or make an accusation against you and it's their word over yours (you don't win - ever).

- As mentioned earlier the workload increased all the time - as did the expectation to "do your job" in a much quicker than expected timeframe.
    - The position I held had a lot of interaction with other depts which dumped their difficult calls to our dept. in addition to the student calls that we received.

- Policy dictated one thing and we were expected to "help" anyways (ex. No help with homework, but if a student that never used a computer in their life before called - you were expected to assist that caller; if you didn't and they complained, you got in trouble).

- My biggest issue was the constant lying and misleading to the students. Having had earned my degree from a for profit school as well - it was so disheartening to see/interact with people who I knew wouldn't make it in that schooling environment and rack up these obnoxious student loans.

- Quit lying to you new prospective students; that might cut down on the lawsuits.
    - Listen to what your customers/students want; that's what most of the calls I took were about.
    - Set reasonable expectations for them - don't promise the moon and the stars, when all you can offer is a boat ride across the lake.
    - Listen to your staff and understand that the demands you make of your team cannot be met with the current workflow implemented. Outsourcing jobs from people who are good at what they do -- not smart! Can't tell you how many employees did everything they could to help the company - it all seemed in vain.
    - Reminding your team that "you fought for their jobs", while keeping yours -- really? Telling us once was plenty, don't/didn't need the constant reminding.

There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

Worked for Career Education? Contribute to the Community!