Career Education

There are newer employer reviews for Career Education

Avoid this job!!!

Former Employee - Inquiry Response Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - Inquiry Response Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. It's a solid 40 hours a week and the work/life balance is acceptable. Training is efficient.

Cons

I worked an an IRC. It's basically telemarketing sales for online education. They won't pitch it as such. They will inform you that you will be calling warm leads but more than half of the "prospective students" you will contact will shout at you letting you know they did not request such information about the universities you will be representing on behalf of CEC. Also you will realize you are calling the same people just under different universities and different scripts. Sometimes you will call these students more than three times in one day, I even had one student recognize my voice! It was demoralizing. Not to mention the strict adherence policies and you will feel like a dog leashed to your desk. You cannot socialize for a moment with anybody else's cubicle (even quietly) it's pretty much high school for grown adults. Also it's too cumbersome to advance in this particular company. Lastly, the pay is not worth the steep metrics they will require of you. You will realize you got yourself into a mess after one week of finishing your training. You will be representing "For Profit" schools, and you will realize how disgusting the process of trying to pump these poor individuals through the system really is. It was like selling your soul.

Management for the most part is at the same mercy of the directors at the top as the rest of the support staff, they do the best they can but there is a lot of miscommunication and lack of understanding to the ever changing policies. Also the amount of micromanaging is unbelievable.

181 Other Employee Reviews for Career Education (View Most Recent)

Coordinator

I worked at Career Education

Pros

Co-workers were cool, it's a revolving door and unorganized

Cons

Pay, came on through a temp agency and learned that once converted to perm, the pay does not go up.
    I felt like a telemarketer
    No room for advancement

It was overall good experience, but...

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my nearly 3 years with the company. I had a good degree of latitude to be creative, collaborate with peers and work closely with students at the campus level. The salary was competitive, other benefits were standard (nothing spectacular and the health premiums, like many companies, continue to escalate).

Cons

In my estimation, this company is in dire straights. I started with this company in 2011 and by the end of 2012, the campus I worked for - along with many others around the country - were placed into "teach out". This set off a chain of events which, among other hard aspects, was the fact that staff/employee, not to mention student, morale went south quickly. On top of that, they company significantly "right-sized" their workforce by reducing corporate employees drastically (corporate speak for mass layoffs). 2013 was brutal. 2014 looks to be the same.

The big question is: Will there be a CEC in 2015 and what will it look like? I sincerely hope they can figure it out, because I continue to believe that, at the end of the day, the rank-and-file employees, especially at the campus level, took the students and graduates interest to heart.

There are newer employer reviews for Career Education