Company Overview

Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Sales Organization if you are right out of college looking to begin your career. Great benifits, summer hours, and compensation. Very Young Sales force, work hard play hard.

Cons

There is no rhyme or reason for how people are promoted from within the organization. I have been in my current role for 2 years and have interviewed for multiple positons for the next role above my curent postion and have lost out to Reps with lower tenure, experience, and numbers compaired to mine. It is truly a popularity contest and if you go out for drinks every time there is a Happy Hour or are a sexy young college co-ed with a mentality for partying the sky is the limit as far a career advancement with this company. It is not un common for coworkers to have realtaions with one another...

Advice to Management

Have HR take an active role in the career advancement with regards to interviewing and the promotion of associates. Make it about the numbers/work not about who can party the hardest. Instead of giving bonuses to managers for making outside hires in the middle markets and enterprise groups promote from with in, look at the empolyees you already have on staff and qualify them based on the body of work they have contributed to date.

Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Administrative in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - IT Administrative in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The IT dept at Careerbuilder is hands down one of the best work environments in the Atlanta area. They still have that 90's internet start-up feel/atmosphere despite their ever growing size. The benefits are impressive for a SMB like Careerbuilder.

Cons

No cons really. No place is perfect and they can and do experience growing pains, but that's better than 'shrinking' pains.

It's hard to complain about ANYTHING at CareerBuilder - they know how to take care of people.

Current Employee - Data Scientist II in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist II in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CareerBuilder understands how to manage and keep their employees happy and consequently, hard working. The 'pull' job structure ensures that micro-managing will never occur and that employees are given what they need in order to complete the tasks in front of them. Never have I been told to 'wrap it up', give less than 100% or limit my hours on a project so that it can be completed before some artificial deadline. In almost all cases, the work is complete when you say that it is. Despite this seemingly slow philosophy, projects get accomplished at an astounding speed at CareerBuilder. The technology we use at CB is like no other place I've worked... we use virtual desktops for everything, the advantages being that we all have all the storage and processing power we could ever need and in the rare case we need more, all it takes is a call and IT can 'add' virtual storage/power instantly. We see the same 'desktop' and files regardless of where and how we log in - whether it be in the office, from home, from our VDIs or laptop, even iPads and tablets; everything just works and the outstanding IT department is responsible for this. I'm overlooking quite a bit of the positives, but lastly I will discuss the benefits. I'm not aware of any other private sector company that provides benefits as wonderful as CB's. Beyond the standard UHC health insurance (of which the company pays +80% of), what makes CB stand out are all the contest opportunities that exist within the company. Every quarter, for example, we have HackDay or Hack-a-thon where everyone is given a day to throw together an original idea that they believe can bring value to the company in some way, outside their day to day responsibilities. A week later, we all present our ideas and the (usually top 3, sometimes more) winners are selected and given $10k and anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks to make their idea a reality. That means they are completely free from their regular work and are focused on their personal project only. Additionally, there are other contests, one which is annual and pays over $100k to the winner. There is the Diamond Club contest each year that sends the top employees (as selected and voted on by management) to some enjoyable location for a week - all expenses paid. This year it is Cabo San Lucas. There are so many opportunities to prove yourself at CB, if you have the desire to do more than the minimum, you WILL be rewarded nicely in time. That's what it all comes down to, in my opinion. CB is a place where passion thrives and is [more than appropriately] rewarded. If you have that entrepreneur type work ethic and love what you do, CB gives you chance after chance to profit from it. Further, they give you the chance to see your ideas realized, and in most cases, you retain the rights to your own ideas, as well! How many other companies can say that? Additionally, the company just spent a few million dollars renovating the Norcross office - we now have a beautiful new work space, break room (including top of the line ping pong table, pool table, foosball, arcade games, etc), all new furniture and gorgeous conference rooms loaded to the ceiling with technology.

Cons

The only con I really make [and it's less of a 'con' than a personal belief] is that I would like to interact with upper management with more regularity. While I work closely with my boss every day, it's only once a month or so that I may actually have a meeting with his boss. I think many of the projects we work on would be improved and ultimately completed faster if there was more interaction between management levels. Aside from that, there's nothing else worth complaining about. CB is full of excellent, hard working people with excellent leadership and it shows in my inability to find anything worth really complaining about.

Advice to Management

While nit-picky, I would like to see some changes made to scoring systems used in our contests so that all applicants are given a more equal chance of winning, regardless of the department they come from. Currently, those working on the web development teams have a built in advantages due to the number of employees (and thus voters) that also exist within their department. I believe the voting would be more objective if a small team of management level(?) judges were to make all rounds of voting themselves, instead of crowd-sourcing the entire office/democratically voting. Alternatively, some kind of 'electoral college' could be created so that votes can be proportionally adjusted, thus allowing the merit of the idea to be the main driver of success. Again, this is nit-picky. I do not mean to imply that the contests are unfair or unjust, but I do believe we could improve upon the process further.