CareerBuilder

www.careerbuilder.com
There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder

Great starter job for recent grads

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nowadays it seems all employers want experience, but few are willing to actually give you any. It's like they expect you to graduate from college and automatically have 5 years of experience. Careerbuilder was the opposite. They seemed to prefer people straight out of college. Put a few hundred 22 year old's in an office and it makes for a pretty fun place to work!...at least for a while.

On top of that, benefits were great and there were plenty of pretty girls to oogle over!

Cons

There's lots of turnover for the sales staff. It didn't matter if you were normally an all-star salesperson. If you were down on your luck and failed to hit your quota 2 months in a row, they let you go. It was often times ice cold. Someone once told me that approximately 50% of entry-level sales people they hire will be gone within 6 months and only 10% will make it one year. Based on what I saw, I'd say that was probably fairly accurate. When the recession hit in '09, things seemed to ease up a bit in terms of cutting people more slack, but I have no idea how it is now.

Favoritism existed on my team. It eventually got to the point where I was spinning my wheels at CB. Despite having seniority on my team and quality job performance, I wasn't buddy-buddy with my manager the way others were. Therefore I was going nowhere. The longer I worked there, the more things seemed to deteriorate. I clearly had overstayed my welcome.

Overall, great place to work when you're just starting out. But this place is mostly a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I've moved on from CB, but some days I miss it. I've even found myself curiously checking their Careers page to see if they have anything matching my current skill set.

482 Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder (View Most Recent)

Great Company

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing people; I met so many of my best friends working here, friends I will have for life.

Cons

Too much red tape - sometimes makes it hard to just sell.

Communication between departments needs to get better.

Fun company, promote Learning & Development and Internal advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly young atmosphere, good leaders, encouraging work environment, great educational opportunities to advance learning, good benefits and non-tangible benefits (happy hours, group outings each quarter, lunches, etc.). Opportunities to be heard and share your ideas.

Cons

Sales is definitely the name of the game. Primary focus is on all sales teams and everything is catered to those groups. Senior management across the company seems to be a "Boys Club"

I work on the Operations/Consulting side of CareerBuilder and feel like our knowledge is underutilized. Through the effort of our team, we are able to help secure repeat revenue, however the Sales Rep is the only person awarded for this effort. Spend time speaking with your non-sales teams to see how knowledgeable and helpful they may be in driving increased sales, and reward them too!

There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder