There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder

Cut throat sales environment but great bonuses

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When you reach your goals and exceed them the pay is great; however, if you get the wrong accounts you're not protected and goals are difficult to meet.

Cons

Management. Culture. No work/life balance. Too much travel.

461 Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder (View Most Recent)

Quota unrealistic to sustain. Good money if you "win". Great training. Product suite is past its prime.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The base is low but the earnings are great if you crush it. If you win (hit quota) you'll be promoted and earn even more. It was by far the most money I had made up to that point in my career. I hit quota and was promoted several times. You will learn a ton about how companies attract and hire talent. You'll also learn alot about overall trends in the modern workforce. It was interesting work and I felt like my clients valued my insight and I know I helped solve challenges and make their jobs easier. I loved that.

Cons

I can't speak to the entire company, just the Atlanta office. Each office is run differently depending on leadership. Working at CB in the IT dept and working at CB in the sales dept are 2 different things. The IT and support staff are treated great (although I hear pay is low# but the sales dept is a high pay, high activity, high turnover dept. The sales leadership there uses a culture of fear to motivate employees. People are threatened with their jobs monthly in the form of write-ups to HR called "plan". You have a monthly quota and if you fail to hit it, you will be put on "plan" which is a potentially terminable offense. You will also be put on "plan" for failing to make 50 dials a day, or setting enough meetings, or for not selling a certain product line, regardless of whether or not you are meeting your overall sales quota. For me, it got old seeing sales reps come and go and seeing everyone always being stressed out about going on "plan". Clients openly talk about how many different Careerbuilder reps they've seen come and go in a short amount of time.Out of the roughly 70 reps in Atlanta, only about 5-10 have been there longer than 3 years, even though the office itself has been open for over 10 years. With all that being said - If you sell, you will make fantastic money while you're there. Overall it was a good stop for me. I made great money, and used it as a learning experience - it looks great on a resume. Just don't consider it a long term "career". Use it for the cash, the training and the resume filler, then either move into leadership #if you like the culture# or find another company within 2 or 3 years. #Be sure to ask what percent of the enterprise sales team hit quota last year - it's very low#. I hit quota and made good money at CareerBuilder throughout my time there but saw the writing on the wall and moved on. It wasn't a good culture fit for me, so I decided not to pursue leadership there. Selling the product has gotten much more difficult - the job posting and RDB is way past its prime.

You have to quit being so aggressive with the sales goals. Its not 2003 anymore. Its not easy to sell job postings and RDB these days, there are tons of competitors that have saturated that space. Your big data and Saas solutions are overpriced and qustionable in their effectiveness. Stop the high turnover, it is undermining the company's credibility with the client. Tell leadership they aren't in the frat house anymore...

An AMAZING career opportunity for those energetic, passionate & driven leaders who are agile & deal with constant change

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Fast paced Culture,
    -Constant Innovation and is never boring,
    -Advancement Opportunities up to VP level,
    -Exceptional Visionary CEO,
    -Solid diversified solution mix with many solutions that truly impact almost any business,
    -Environment where you can be rewarded for achievements when you perform,
    -Amazing Kick-off and Incentive Trip Events,
    -Uncapped High commission potential (hence below industry base pay references),
    -Energetic and Caring Peers,
    -Great flexibility if you are asserative and confident,
    -Strong Senior Leadership, a maturing company that grows and expands,
    -Top Tier Sales Professionals - work with some of the best and brightest,
    -Opportunity for Work/Life Balance,
    -Company open to employee ideas at all levels
    -Discriplined Freedom after you earn the right and pay your dues!

Cons

Really these are areas of Opportunity...
    -Lagging Sales Training on complex software solution selling at the AE/SAE level,
    -Compensation Plans created mainly by finance anaylsts do not work in real-world scenarios,
    -Sustainability of larger deals based on solution scalability and internal processes which hinder high net worth client relationships at the Enterprise level,
    -Account Support personnel pay is far below average for desired role and responsibilities which can hinder even the best of sales professionals, client satisfaction/account transitioning,
    -Success Measurement is at times skewed in certain areas so at times good people get passed up over others who are perceived to be a "better" performer,
    -Product Management and Middle Sales Management is somewhat out of touch which can impact the pro of having Strong Senior Leadership and their decision making.

Internal war exists of what CB is becoming, a SaaS company or to remain a job board with access to tremendous amounts of data...Clients are somewhat confused and the message being placed out to the industry is very much mixed at a time when it should be unified and clear from the Top Down orginating from Corporate Marketing/Communications to the general public. Market the evolution of CB and let the feet on the street reinforce the message. Align internal teams to work together not as silos, therefore measurement needs to be structured so that as a team, each have skin in the game vs. everyone having their own agenda. When decisions are made that effect clients directly, proactive consideration should be given for the impact to the relationships and on a case by case basis, modification should be proactively considered vs. a standardized talk track. Management should be more open to career pathing/development for their employees. Get the sales managers to work their own 1-2 house accounts to stay connected with the trends in the sales process and industry. As others have stated, attrition of proven sales reps has been a negative trend (but many appear to go onto great opportunities), Those who are consistent, top performers and loyal need to be heard and listened to more with regards to constructive criticism and trends noticed in the field.

There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder