Cargill
www.cargill.com Wayzata, MN 5000+ Employees

It's trial by fire - sometimes literally.

Production Manager (Former Employee)
Newark, CA

ProsYou get a lot of experience very quickly. This was my first job out of school and within three years I was running over half the refinery at my location. The operators are very blue collar but they are some of the most loyal workers you will ever find, if you may it through the wringer they put you through when you start. The company is privately held so there is less focus on the immediate numbers.

ConsThe management is incredibly old school and the company runs their factories into the ground. The working atmosphere is very political and sometimes I felt like I was the only person who actually cared about making product (aside from my operators). You could never get away with that in a public company. Management typically avoids conflict so rather than lay people off they use passive aggressive tactics to try to get people to leave but it ends up just causing the good people to leave and then Cargill just moves the old trash around.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees that are doing well and don't be afraid to release those who are not.

Pathetic management

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Hopkins, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: very good products. high quality. Cons: bureaucratic. management does not make decisions. management does not stand up for employees. poor payers.… Advice to Senior Management: get rid of some of the managers that are not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overall good experience.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Some of the best benefits (other than vacation time). Pay is well above… Cons: Standards of performance vary from person to person and it definately shows on reviews. Managers may "listen" to ideas, but only go with their ideas… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the people who do the job every day. Quit trying to make decisions without knowing what each person… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cargill.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All reviews posted anonymously by Cargill employees.