Cargill

www.cargill.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

It's trial by fire - sometimes literally.

Former Employee - Production Manager in Newark, CA
Former Employee - Production Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience very quickly. This was my first job out of school and within three years I was running over half the refinery at my location. The operators are very blue collar but they are some of the most loyal workers you will ever find, if you may it through the wringer they put you through when you start. The company is privately held so there is less focus on the immediate numbers.

Cons

The management is incredibly old school and the company runs their factories into the ground. The working atmosphere is very political and sometimes I felt like I was the only person who actually cared about making product (aside from my operators). You could never get away with that in a public company. Management typically avoids conflict so rather than lay people off they use passive aggressive tactics to try to get people to leave but it ends up just causing the good people to leave and then Cargill just moves the old trash around.

Value your employees that are doing well and don't be afraid to release those who are not.

537 Other Employee Reviews for Cargill (View Most Recent)

Overall good experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best benefits (other than vacation time). Pay is well above average for people who have not received a college degree. Relatively low turnover rate.

Cons

Standards of performance vary from person to person and it definately shows on reviews. Managers may "listen" to ideas, but only go with their ideas no matter how bad and inefficient they may be. It's all about safety until safety costs too much money, then they just look the other way.

Listen to the people who do the job every day. Quit trying to make decisions without knowing what each person has to deal with and overcome in their job. Each location is unique and certain standards don't work in every location.

Lackluster internship

Former Employee - IT Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They subsidized rent for internship, get to live in Minneapolis, Decent compensation

Cons

Had to fight HR for fair compensation for internship, No intern activities scheduled by Cargill, The whole internship seemed off the cuff and was poorly planned. There seemed to be no real communication between HR and management. They attract poor talent. We were mislead on multiple occasions and the projects overall seemed incredibly worthless to the company.

Revamp your internship if you hope to attract top talent in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Cargill