Disappointing - Not what I expected and not what it could be

Current Employee - Materials Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Materials Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most of my coworkers are easy to work with and most of them deliver desired results. The work is interesting and challenging. I suppose that's a pro for the work in general, not necessarily the job in this company in this location.

Cons

For the ones who don't do a good job - they get compensated and rewarded just the same as the people who perform at a high level. In general, the people who are good and who deliver results get annoyed, burned out, and frustrated. Top management makes decisions in a vacuum and they don't listen to the experienced people on their team. Compensation is much lower than comparable positions in our area. Salary increases are few and far between for people who are at the mid-point of their salary band. The logic is that no matter what your performance level is, if you're in the middle of your range you're too fairly compensated for a salary bump.

Do some fair salary assessments and raise salaries to really pay people fairly. Use performance management to fairly compensate people who deserve it and not reward people who don't deserve it.

Other Reviews for Cargill

mostly positive experience, but some clear negatives of working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blair, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blair, NE

I worked at Cargill as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great job security
    large facility, many different roles possible without moving locations
    safety culture
    friendly people, good community

Cons

work can be repetitive, boring
    too much emphasis on small changes, quick dollar reduction. managers don't think long term and/or big picture
    wouldn't recommend moving to Blair. Although Cargill employees are kind and welcoming, the town is NOT AT ALL. If you didn't grow up around there, you are treated terribly by locals
    advancement seems to be slow and hard to come by

challenge your best employees more in their work. some very smart people work here and are under-utilized

Upheaval

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst  in  Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Hopkins, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like my work group, they're genuine people and are motivated to help each other. It's not every man for himself. There is opportunity here to move around and try different things if you play your cards right.

Cons

The culture here is very focused on politics. To get hired, it really helps to know someone or to have some affiliation to Iowa State. Learn your corporate buzz words and you will advance quickly. Work/Life balance is very much up to the individual to enforce.

Ask the engineers before making big directional changes on whether or not it's going to be feasible to deliver a concept on budget and on time. We have been changing direction frequently.

There are newer employer reviews for Cargill.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!