There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

Disappointing - Not what I expected and not what it could be

Current Employee - Materials Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Materials Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are easy to work with and most of them deliver desired results. The work is interesting and challenging. I suppose that's a pro for the work in general, not necessarily the job in this company in this location.

Cons

For the ones who don't do a good job - they get compensated and rewarded just the same as the people who perform at a high level. In general, the people who are good and who deliver results get annoyed, burned out, and frustrated. Top management makes decisions in a vacuum and they don't listen to the experienced people on their team. Compensation is much lower than comparable positions in our area. Salary increases are few and far between for people who are at the mid-point of their salary band. The logic is that no matter what your performance level is, if you're in the middle of your range you're too fairly compensated for a salary bump.

Do some fair salary assessments and raise salaries to really pay people fairly. Use performance management to fairly compensate people who deserve it and not reward people who don't deserve it.

reviews filtered by

It was a great opportunity, wish I had moved around more internally before they started looking to sell the biz unit

Former Employee - Professional Analyst, Operations in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Professional Analyst, Operations in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on development and controls

Cons

Lack of focus on improving efficiency

Investigate units with high turn over and investigate causes/invest in exit interviews to identify why talent is exiting

Upheaval

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Hopkins, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like my work group, they're genuine people and are motivated to help each other. It's not every man for himself. There is opportunity here to move around and try different things if you play your cards right.

Cons

The culture here is very focused on politics. To get hired, it really helps to know someone or to have some affiliation to Iowa State. Learn your corporate buzz words and you will advance quickly. Work/Life balance is very much up to the individual to enforce.

Ask the engineers before making big directional changes on whether or not it's going to be feasible to deliver a concept on budget and on time. We have been changing direction frequently.

There are newer employer reviews for Cargill