Cargill

www.cargill.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

Overall, my experience at Cargill was ok.

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning, relaxed management, able to "own" my job and help others, lots of say in what I did. I worked with many people from different business units which gave me a great perspective on the business and how my role had an impact.

Cons

The pay was good, but only mediocre. My actual job did not match my job title, so they got away with paying me less than other companies would for the same job. They would not change it. I was hired on and moved to two different roles within the company before they started making bachelor's degrees mandatory for the positions I had. Unfortunately, this practice stopped and I was no longer able to move up into the company. I was stuck in my role. Personality conflicts with others is managed poorly. Poor performing employees and supervisors are held in their positions too long. My role also required me to be on call, with back-up rotation. Turned out I was on call 24/7, even on vacation.

Ensure that job descriptions and job title's are consistent with industry standards. Pay employees slightly better than industry averages. I found out that a new engineer in supervisor training (with bachelor's degree) was getting paid about the same as me. Not good for new engineers just out of college. Cargill may have better recruits if they paid a little more. Most important, if a new employee just isn't working out please move them to a different role or boot them out the door. The wait and see if they improve approach does not work in most cases.

542 Other Employee Reviews for Cargill (View Most Recent)

Great company

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Solid culture, great work / life balance.

Cons

Slow moving, risk averse, managers sometimes have tunnel vision since they have been with the company so long.

Great place for an internship to see the company as a whole!

Former Employee - Animal Nutrition Marketing Intern in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Animal Nutrition Marketing Intern in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work is real.
    Responsibility.
    Good pay for what you do.
    Culture is very safe and friendly.

Cons

People are always out of office.
    Sometimes unclear when projects are given.

Work with your interns more or assign an office "buddy" to help them out their first few weeks. Cargill is a huge place and can get confusins.

There are newer employer reviews for Cargill