Cargill

www.cargill.com
  www.cargill.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

Overall, my experience at Cargill was ok.

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning, relaxed management, able to "own" my job and help others, lots of say in what I did. I worked with many people from different business units which gave me a great perspective on the business and how my role had an impact.

Cons

The pay was good, but only mediocre. My actual job did not match my job title, so they got away with paying me less than other companies would for the same job. They would not change it. I was hired on and moved to two different roles within the company before they started making bachelor's degrees mandatory for the positions I had. Unfortunately, this practice stopped and I was no longer able to move up into the company. I was stuck in my role. Personality conflicts with others is managed poorly. Poor performing employees and supervisors are held in their positions too long. My role also required me to be on call, with back-up rotation. Turned out I was on call 24/7, even on vacation.

Ensure that job descriptions and job title's are consistent with industry standards. Pay employees slightly better than industry averages. I found out that a new engineer in supervisor training (with bachelor's degree) was getting paid about the same as me. Not good for new engineers just out of college. Cargill may have better recruits if they paid a little more. Most important, if a new employee just isn't working out please move them to a different role or boot them out the door. The wait and see if they improve approach does not work in most cases.

513 Other Employee Reviews for Cargill (View Most Recent)

Growing company, some areas are better than others

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance can be achieved. Flexible work arrangements permit work from home which is great.

Cons

Salary does not align with current market rates; even with candid feedback about this, it makes little difference.

The sales people that directly help their business unit earn more are directly compensated based on this performance yet when "IT" groups enable a business unit to be more profitable, where is the direct correlation in the compensation plan? I have not seen it.

Politics over performance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Established company
    Big company perks; training, cafeteria, wellness programs, etc

Cons

Without a "mentor" you should not expect to go anywhere
    Once you're in, they prefer outside talent rather than internal candidates for open roles

Promote based on performance