Cargill

www.cargill.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

Great company, pray you get a competent Manager

I have been working at Cargill (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome Benefits, Great leadership, the company is well diversified

Cons

The Tartan Initiate, old school managers who shun education are still running ramrod over there

543 Other Employee Reviews for Cargill (View Most Recent)

Good for first professional job experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good training, lots of responsibility given early on, most people are approachable and willing to help, some travel and tradeshows to mix up the days, many resources available to help accomplish tasks or learn a new skill. The variety of things you learn along with the Cargill name translate well into many other fields and industries.

Cons

If you're a millennial be prepared for people to constantly tell you how young you are. Once people are hired here, they tend to stay (many times 20+ years) and people who drag the company down rarely get fired. Suggestions for improvement and efficiency are rarely considered. Be prepared for technology that's many years behind and very restrictive IT policies with your only option for help is to call a support center in india contracted through HP.

I was told the advancement opportunities were plentiful when I first started, but promptly dried up when it was time to start looking for the next position. If you like living in large cities, you're going to have a hard time advancing in the company without living in very rural areas or by HQ in Minneapolis.

Their culture is really suffering as the schism between old and new i.e. the long time employees and new employees, flexible work schedules vs typical 8-5, and overall resistance by some to new policies and technology.

Salary is about 25-30% lower than market rate (though you're told your benefit package is part of "total compensation") with yearly commissions paid out depending on how the entire business unit does. Even if you blow your sales goal out of the water, if the team sales goal isn't made, then your hard work is not rewarded.

Weed out the consistent underperformers who create bottlenecks in processes, be more accepting of new technologies (newer laptops, ditch blackberry)

Cargill is a good place to work if you enjoy what you're currently doing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkins, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance. There is a broad range of businesses to gain experience from and they offer a global network.

Cons

I found it difficult to transfer between business units having a background in other companies besides Cargill. They hired me because of my background but it now seems like it works against me.

Management should take more time to listen to the those that are in the job everyday.

There are newer employer reviews for Cargill