There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Good consistent work, don't expect tons of hours

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Tips
Customers make it worthwhile
Discount and free half pound coffee every week
Great coworkers, flexible hours
Good health benifits

Cons

Lack of raises
sporadic appreciation of employees by upper management
can only get maximum 45 cent raise once a year

Make sure you listen to your employees they make it worthwhile
We aren't disposable, customers come more for interaction and good customer service with the drink, have too many people staffed to cut hours it makes a less pleasant experience for everyone

reviews filtered by

A good full-time job, a terrible part-time one.

Current Employee - Capital-Driven in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Capital-Driven in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Caribou has the added perk of any sort of job in its field such as free drinks, discounted coffee and products as well as learning more about a particular product such as coffee. Caribou stresses education about its product which does allow for one to be enthusiastic about it, but it ends there. Once the charade has worn off, one realizes how they are simply a tool to rake in capital. If you are willing to work full-time, Caribou has health insurance and wonderful dental insurance, which is expensive- but at least is available.

If you are a coffee enthusiast, you get a half pound of beans every week for free (or tea). You get a free drink per shift and 30% otherwise. Depending on your manager, it can be a great work atmosphere.

Cons

I worked at Caribou for two years, had a stellar work record and moved up in the company- only to see how truly disorganized and money-driven the entire corporate strategy is. And yes, the purpose of a company is to make money, but not at the cost of their employees. After listening to the rhetoric my manager was telling me about how our District Manager goes about hiring, it seemed that people were simply expendable and replaceable. The lack of concern about employees, the fact that they had lives outside of their workplace and their sole concern being how much of a promotional product was being sold- was my point of concern for them.

Each period there is a brand new bean that "has" to be sold. Supervisors are threatened with "notices of discipline," if they do not succeed at selling these promotional beans. I have been told to lie to customers in order to sell beans, persuading people who already have beans in their hand; to opt for the promotional bean instead. If the purpose is to only make money off of promotional beans, then why have a coffee shop? The purpose is to provide an eclectic variety of coffee beans and drinks for people to enjoy and to enjoy with the peace of mind that they were obtained ethically.

The company boasts sustainable and fair-trade practices for their beans, yet they treat their employees with no respect and do not foster a sustainably healthy environment for their workers - who are the ones actually bringing in the capital. This past week I put in my two week's notice after I called a manager to get back-up since our store was being slammed, but was stunned when their only concern was whether or not I had sold any pounds of that period's promotional beans. Promotions are often on a whim, and the staff isn't informed with enough time to prepare for the onslaught of 200+ customers with a coupon in tow. One day I came into work unaware that it was a promotion and was severely understaffed which had its own set of ramifications (long drink waits, upset employees, running out of materials, trash piling up).

Whether a caribou environment is successful or not is incumbent upon whatever manager might be stationed there at the time. Caribou's strategy involves shuffling managers all across a district and so team-building and healthy work environments often suffer as a result of this shuffling. In my time as a supervisor I've seen wonderful managers go, while managers who are unfit for their position- climb ahead since their align themselves with Caribou's rhetoric; doing whatever it takes.

I used to love Caribou, but their blatant disregard for their employees makes me feel bad for them. It has become a company I am not longer proud to work for. I would never recommend anyone that I cared about to work here.

- Treat your employees with sincere respect, staff stores better for the well-being of your employyes
    - Narrow down the promotional beans and focus on the 12+ varieties of beans that are already being sold; do not drive promotional bean sales with NOD threats
    - Screen your managers better, get more anonymous feedback from the employees to get a better gauge of that manager's abilities
    - Communicate better with the staff about promotions/it will ensure the success of that promotion

2. Fun place to work

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Customers are great. management can be touch and go. There are good opportunities to get into the management in training program

Cons

Company policies are overly strict and can be misconstrued as stifling to a positive corporate culture and can adversely effect guest relations

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee