Caribou Coffee

www.cariboucoffee.com
  www.cariboucoffee.com
There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Great Company with strong values and leadership.

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Caribou Coffee is a wonderfully local Minnesota Company. They have very strong values and are committed to being the best. I personally love how devoted they are the people that work for them, they do a great job training, recognizing, and growing there people. Caribou is also very dedicated to the community, they do an amazing job with outreach and try to give back to the community any way they can!

Cons

Inner company communication is ok, but big changes with operations I feel are very rushed and not fully thought out to catch potential flaws in the plans. The joke with in the company is thats how we do it, were caribou, we just make decisions and deal with the problems later. A lot of changes made are made to impact the NOW and not looked at a larger scale to see what happens to the LATER times.

Keep moving forward, we are doing a very good job and are growing everyday! Keep fighting for what we believe in as a company and never lose sight of those values, as soon as we loose our values we lose the employees that share the very same values.

269 Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee (View Most Recent)

It's ok. They expect a lot from their employees for little pay. But tips help.

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Free coffee, discounted items. The company likes to promote from within so there is potential for advancement if you work your ass off.

Cons

Lots of work. The focus on making it an "experience" and connecting with the customer can be a little annoying at times when you are first learning because you're focused on what you are doing and making conversation can be almost impossible during this time.

None at this time.

Bad management destroyed a job that I once loved...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

The first 2 years that I worked at Caribou, I LOVED it! Very fun atmosphere, met a ton of great people (both co-workers and customers) from the community, and loved the work itself. Was promoted in less then a year, received yearly raises, and great benefits. Received great communication from management, was frequently praised and recognized for my contributions and hard work for the company.

Additionally, Caribou is committed to now serving all Rainforest Alliance-certified coffee and has made consistent efforts to be more 'green' and give back to the community. I appreciate their efforts in this area.

Cons

Management within my district took a significant downturn in the last year that I worked there. Saw a number of excellent store managers, shift supervisors, and team members fired arbitrarily, and in an unethical manner (fired for silly, insignificant missteps as a cover-up for other illegitimate reasons; or generally - they tried to get people to quit/convince them that they were unhappy, so they wouldn't have to pay out unemployment benefits). Upper management not interested in being "challenged upward" by those at the store level. Employees not receiving proper reviews/raises as I'd seen in the past. Saw little to no response from HR, despite repeated efforts from both customers and employees to alert them to the poor & unethical management occurring within our district. They claim to be a company committed to "listening" to their employees - but I saw little to back this up. Company also claims to be about "making connections", treating their employees well, etc etc... but what they've consistently proven time and again that they're only about the bottom line.

Upselling - If you don't like constantly upselling/forcing products on customers, this job probably isn't for you...

I hate to say this about a Minnesota-based company, but the trends I've seen in this company lately are not positive. Until some things changes are made, I wouldn't recommend working here.

Please: Practice what you preach! Can you really call yourself a successful company if your employees are so unhappy and so mistreated? Please: LISTEN to us... we may actually have something useful to say (don't treat us like were idiots). Please: DEVELOP us... at the end, the only people that I saw 'developed' were the people who mindlessly went along with whatever management told them to do (even if it was unethical). And please: RECOGNIZE us... you may have initially started off strongly with the Rewards program... but after a few months, I rarely saw those handed out in my store.

HR - Please listen to us. If you want Caribou to have a positive reputation in our communities, you need to start actually listening to your employees, and responding to our cries for help. The customers are watching, too.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee