There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee ... so-so

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Maplewood, MN
Current Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Corporate environment and the perm's that go with it ..

Cons

Corporate environment and the politics that go with it ...

Stop looking at teacher's pets and look at experienced employees ...

254 Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee (View Most Recent)

Fun atmosphere and people, district communication was rough

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Gambrills, MD
    Former Employee - Team Member in Gambrills, MD

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for less than a year

Pros

The product was fun to make and learn about - the company really stresses knowing about each individual coffee and understanding the process of how coffee is made. It was fun to learn and challenge myself with sales. Team members' compensation isn't based on sales, but managers would regularly let us know how our store was doing in our district, and how our district was doing company-wide, which helped with motivation to succeed as a team. Caribou wants you to make a connection with every guest and express your unique personality. I was always pushed to keep getting better at what I did. I loved learning guests' drinks and chatting with regulars.

Cons

I appreciate the Rainforest Alliance initiative but a farmers co-op would be better (like Equal Exchange has), as would the across-the-board use of organic coffee, milk and teas. Even though individual store managers were awesome, morale in the district was pretty low and a lot of time managers are put in tough situations and forced to hire or keep team members that just didn't care or didn't make any effort to do a good job, show up on time, follow standard operating procedures, etc. So that's frustrating, but overall it's a fun work environment and everybody tries to work as a team.

It's also hard to know you're serving something that's not really the best for people to be consuming a ton of - when people get the same giant, caffeinated, fat-filled drink every single day - it's good for sales but it's not good for them!! And it's hard to hand that over every day to someone you have come to care about when they're a regular. Once in a while, okay, go for the large with half n half and whipped cream and two extra shots but, man! I know it's not my fault or Caribou's that people regularly order, pay for, and consume those types of drinks but it's hard to feel great about it all the time.

That being said, I really did appreciate the variety of products and the effort Caribou puts in to making the quality good as well.

Overall I loved working for Caribou Coffee. Store managers do a great job motivating the team but it seems like they're extremely stressed out and underpaid a lot of the time. Put some more time, effort, and $ into training, rewarding, and generally taking care of these people!

A fun place to work--BAMA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

With an emphasis on "making connections", working at Caribou helped mold my customer service skills. Getting to know your regulars is a lot of fun. Overall, it's a good high school/college job.

Cons

Working the drive-thru can be stressful and incredibly frustrating. There's A LOT of cleaning involved when working here.

My store held meetings which I thought were effective in getting every one on the same page. There were also frequent meetings with managers that would let us discuss any issues/concerns we were having. Overall, I had no qualms with the management.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!