There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

nice

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

easy, free drink shift, weekends

Cons

few hours, small tips, long interview

reviews filtered by
  1. Learned great customer service skills at least?

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the regulars you meet are stellar
    I have kept some really great friends from my store after leaving
    Shift drink
    1/2 lb beans or 12 tea bags
    Learned how to work under pressure
    Honed customer service skills which are very marketable after leaving
    Amy's blend is a great cause

Cons

No breaks at 6 hours. You are allotted a 30 minute break after 8 hours (but after working many of those 8 hour shifts I had gotten the chance to go on break maybe twice.)
    Why you may ask? Because the manager didn't want to step on the floor for my break.

45 cent raise max if you perform well and do well on your yearly performance test (if they still do that.)

Open on Christmas and during huge winter storms. Not only is it dangerous for your customers but also your employees. People can make coffee at home on Christmas. And when the news states, "Only travel in the event of an emergency," consider shutting your stores down. I've had employees get stuck in snow drifts, get in accidents and spin out while they're on the way to work.

Some managers generally do not care about their employees. I had one manager who would nap at work while I covered the floor. Another manager wouldn't follow up with a woman who threatened to beat me up because I followed caribou policy and charged her for the extra whip.

There is a lot of cleaning that must be done every shift (which is understandable, but often hard to accomplish because it is so busy, or because other shifts left you with their work that wasn't finish.)

You are always constantly up selling to every guest. If you don't you will be reprimanded. (Even if you know the regular who only gets a small light roast everyday)

We once had a competition for selling a promo bean and the top 2 selling stores' employees would be entered in a raffle to attend a vacation for 2 days at a ski resort in MN (or that's what we were told) later we found out that it was only for the store managers. How heart breaking.

You will not be listened too by corporate and you won't be rewarded for excellent work.

Also there is no recycling which is atrocious. Cardboard clutches, cups, plastic milk gallons as well as forks, knives, spoons, napkins, syrup bottles, etc... There's far too much waste going on if only they would invest in some recycling bins.

Also, get used to customers telling you that the prices are way too high, yet they come in everyday. They will always complain and want free drinks.

Listen to lower level employees and customers when the majority of them are telling you that a manager is NOT working out. Close on Christmas and massive snow storms. No one's life is so invaluable that the coffee shop must remain open. There's more advice but management doesn't listen :/

2. Drastically declining in terms of employee relations.

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good drinks
    -Free 1/2 pound of beans per week
    -Fun customers (mostly)
    -Fun coworkers (mostly)

Cons

-Lack of discipline/consequences for bad behavior (example: a shift supervisor keeping their job despite a no-call no-show)
    -Corporate constantly cutting hours (most employees in my store are lucky to get 15 a week)
    -Recently switched to being open on Christmas Day
    -Employee concerns frequently ignored (most have expressed displeasure at the above mentioned shift supervisor remaining employed, but nothing has been done for months)
    -Customers pandered to even when their requests are against company policy (refills on drinks that don't receive refills because the customer claims someone else lets him do it)
    -Too high a focus on trying to be like every other coffee shop, not enough focus on being their own company.

When an employee breaks the rules, reprimand them. If they don't show for a shift, fire them. If your team is hurting for hours, don't hire new people with extremely limited availability. Stop giving individual customers special treatment just because they threaten negative survey reviews if they don't get their way. And for God's sake, promote from within like you say you do during the interview process.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee