There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Excellent Company to Work for

Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and quality of product that we promote

Cons

underpaid in many levels of the org in comparrison to similar companies.
Lack of consistency from HR

262 Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee (View Most Recent)

Fun job

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great benefits to working with this company. They have health care available for store employees working 20+ hours per week as well as a 401k. Each shift you get a free beverage and each week you can take a free half pound of beans or some tea sachets. The job itself is fun and allows you to meet a lot of different people and the culture of the company encourages you to make the connection with people beyond what you find at most other coffee shops.

Cons

After being with this company for years, I have seen there is very little room for growth not only for myself but many other people. With the exception of 1 manager hired within my district in the past couple of years, they have all been outside hires. Managers are also moved around a lot. My store has just received its 8th manager in the past 5 years. Business doesn't always allow for breaks because if your store isn't busy enough, you don't get to have exta people on a shift. I have worked 9 hour shifts and not even had time to eat more than once. The latest "way to save" idea corporate has come up with is to pay the shift supervisiors $1 less per hour than their salary when working with the store manager or another shift supervisior when they are not the designated manager on duty.

Taking the time and energy to invest in your staff is great however when you don't work with them to allow them the opportunity to grow, why bother? Help to better educate and grow current employees to fill positions that are open instead of always hiring outside people. I can do more things than my current manager as far as the duties a manager should know how to do because past managers have taken the time to start working with me on learning the business. Each time I get to a certain point with one manager, they get transfered to a new location. If a business is going to thrive especially in these tough times, don't keep changing things at stores where it's working. If a store isn't working well, find out why and fix it, don't pass managers around to create the same issues at another store.

one year of hell.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, awesome co-workers, some fun regular employees, great morning tips

Cons

Where to begin...
    - Early mornings / Late nights
    - Tips are split per shift, which is great if you're working the morning shift or working with a manager (mgmt doesn't get tips), but if you're working at night you get almost nothing.
    - Training is minimal. I was working a busy holiday weekend with 2 new employees after only 1 week of training.
    - Zero stability. During 1 yr of employment I had 5 district managers and 3 different store managers.
    - Pay is lower than Starbucks, you are reviewed for raises yearly.
    - Company doesn't know what they're doing. They come out with promotions with little to no preparation. They spend time and money implementing new policies and procedures only to change them soon after.
    - They hire managers that have little to no experience. Most are not willing to do work as a barista. They say that they promote from within, but in order to be promoted you have to be a "Cari-bot" and are disgustingly devoted to the company.
    - You have to sign a Social media policy, saying you won't speak ill of the company on social media. (EVEN IF IT IS THE TRUTH AND YOU HAVE DOCUMENTED FACTS!) They have the right to fire you AND bring legal action against you.

Listen to your store TEAM MEMBERS. Before you implement policies or introduce new products, please talk to some non-management store employees. Also, when you test products, keep in mind that Minnesota customers are different than customers in other parts of the country.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee