Caribou Coffee
www.cariboucoffee.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Fun job

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are some great benefits to working with this company. They have health care available for store employees working 20+ hours per week as well as a 401k. Each shift you get a free beverage and each week you can take a free half pound of beans or some tea sachets. The job itself is fun and allows you to meet a lot of different people and the culture of the company encourages you to make the connection with people beyond what you find at most other coffee shops.

ConsAfter being with this company for years, I have seen there is very little room for growth not only for myself but many other people. With the exception of 1 manager hired within my district in the past couple of years, they have all been outside hires. Managers are also moved around a lot. My store has just received its 8th manager in the past 5 years. Business doesn't always allow for breaks because if your store isn't busy enough, you don't get to have exta people on a shift. I have worked 9 hour shifts and not even had time to eat more than once. The latest "way to save" idea corporate has come up with is to pay the shift supervisiors $1 less per hour than their salary when working with the store manager or another shift supervisior when they are not the designated manager on duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking the time and energy to invest in your staff is great however when you don't work with them to allow them the opportunity to grow, why bother? Help to better educate and grow current employees to fill positions that are open instead of always hiring outside people. I can do more things than my current manager as far as the duties a manager should know how to do because past managers have taken the time to start working with me on learning the business. Each time I get to a certain point with one manager, they get transfered to a new location. If a business is going to thrive especially in these tough times, don't keep changing things at stores where it's working. If a store isn't working well, find out why and fix it, don't pass managers around to create the same issues at another store.

It's a job

Barista (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for less than a year

Pros: If you love coffee, it's around. Meet lots of people.… Cons: Not much development. Not much upward mobility. Just use employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

one year of hell.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros: Free coffee, awesome co-workers, some fun regular employees, great morning… Cons: Where to begin... - Early mornings / Late nights - Tips are split per shift, which is great if you're working the morning shift or working with… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your store TEAM MEMBERS. Before you implement policies or introduce new products, please talk to some non-management store employees.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Caribou Coffee.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caribou Coffee reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Caribou Coffee CEO Mike Tattersfield. All reviews posted anonymously by Caribou Coffee employees.