There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Good place to work, definitely has its Pros and Cons...

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Caribou for a few months and must say, I have enjoyed working here for the most part. In a nutshell, the pros of working for Caribou are:
-Free 1/2-lb. of coffee/week
-Free shift drinks
-30% employee discounts
-Flexibility with hours (you submit your availability and at least at my Caribou, they work with it)
-Working with laid-back, fun, enthusiastic people (for the most part)

Cons

There are definitely Cons to working at Caribou, as with any job:
-Early hours (if you do the morning shift... as in waking up at 4:00 a.m.)
-Rude customers. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost thrown off my apron and wanted to hop over the counter and say a thing or two to the snotty, stuck-up, absolutely horrid customers that think they can treat you however they want. AWFUL. Biggest Con of this job, in my opinion.
-Upper Management is frustrating... I have so far gotten the vibe that as long as they're making profit, they could care less about employee satisfaction.
-RUDE CUSTOMERS. Worth mentioning again!

On a side note... not sure if this is a con or not, but I wonder when Upper Management is going to figure out that the vast majority of their employees are good, honest, hard-working people? They seem to be *waiting* for incidents of theft and dishonesty from within... It's frustrating, to say the least.

Please have more trust in your store managers/employees, especially those who have been there the longest. When hiring outside store managers, make certain they are respectful and capable of their job duties.
Additionally, when nearly every employee in a store has the same complaint (whether it be about a new manager, product, or way of doing something), that is the time to address it, not look the other way.

255 Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee (View Most Recent)

Excellent Company to Work for

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People and quality of product that we promote

Cons

underpaid in many levels of the org in comparrison to similar companies.
    Lack of consistency from HR

Fun job

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some great benefits to working with this company. They have health care available for store employees working 20+ hours per week as well as a 401k. Each shift you get a free beverage and each week you can take a free half pound of beans or some tea sachets. The job itself is fun and allows you to meet a lot of different people and the culture of the company encourages you to make the connection with people beyond what you find at most other coffee shops.

Cons

After being with this company for years, I have seen there is very little room for growth not only for myself but many other people. With the exception of 1 manager hired within my district in the past couple of years, they have all been outside hires. Managers are also moved around a lot. My store has just received its 8th manager in the past 5 years. Business doesn't always allow for breaks because if your store isn't busy enough, you don't get to have exta people on a shift. I have worked 9 hour shifts and not even had time to eat more than once. The latest "way to save" idea corporate has come up with is to pay the shift supervisiors $1 less per hour than their salary when working with the store manager or another shift supervisior when they are not the designated manager on duty.

Taking the time and energy to invest in your staff is great however when you don't work with them to allow them the opportunity to grow, why bother? Help to better educate and grow current employees to fill positions that are open instead of always hiring outside people. I can do more things than my current manager as far as the duties a manager should know how to do because past managers have taken the time to start working with me on learning the business. Each time I get to a certain point with one manager, they get transfered to a new location. If a business is going to thrive especially in these tough times, don't keep changing things at stores where it's working. If a store isn't working well, find out why and fix it, don't pass managers around to create the same issues at another store.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!