A victim of its own early success.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Saint Paul, MN
Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Store level employees and management were great.
Mostly flexible work schedules.
Coffee is genuinely good.
Caribou is based out of Mpls./St. Paul, so opportunities to transfer to alternate stores within the Twin Cities were ample.

Cons

Too much turn-over at the district and store manager levels.
Compensation and raises were paltry.
Poor benefits when compared to Starbucks.

At the time I left Caribou was exploding with unfocused growth. Stores were flying up everywhere. Caribou branding was being latched onto ice creams, snack bars, and just about anything you could fit onto a grocery store shelf. It wouldn't have surprised me if I'd shown up to work one day, and found that Caribou had partnered with Ford Motors and we were expected to sell X number Caribou Cars per store per month.

Of course all of this trickled down to the store level were initiatives were started and abandoned frequently. Goals were set, and then reset constantly. District Managers were left trying to implement all these changes, which led to pressure on Store Managers, which led to a lot of leadership turn-over at the Store and District Manager level, which led to turn-over of hourly employees, which led to store morale problems. In short, it was a hot mess.

It appeared, at least to me, that this was company being run by a series of committees. Each tasked with focusing on different areas of the business, and with little focus on how everything was going to fit together. I can't help but think that if the CEO at the time had actually lived in MN, rather than GA and flying into MN to perform his work, that there would have been a set of eyes at the helm and a lot of the problems of the time might have been caught.

Focus on your role as a coffee shop first and foremost. A CEO should live and work near the headquarters of the company she/he is heading.

Other Reviews for Caribou Coffee

no time for family

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great atmosphere, and opportunity to interact with customers and employees on a daily basis

Cons

very demanding schedule and compensation is not competitive for managers

Good place to work, definitely has its Pros and Cons...

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Caribou for a few months and must say, I have enjoyed working here for the most part. In a nutshell, the pros of working for Caribou are:
    -Free 1/2-lb. of coffee/week
    -Free shift drinks
    -30% employee discounts
    -Flexibility with hours (you submit your availability and at least at my Caribou, they work with it)
    -Working with laid-back, fun, enthusiastic people (for the most part)

Cons

There are definitely Cons to working at Caribou, as with any job:
    -Early hours (if you do the morning shift... as in waking up at 4:00 a.m.)
    -Rude customers. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost thrown off my apron and wanted to hop over the counter and say a thing or two to the snotty, stuck-up, absolutely horrid customers that think they can treat you however they want. AWFUL. Biggest Con of this job, in my opinion.
    -Upper Management is frustrating... I have so far gotten the vibe that as long as they're making profit, they could care less about employee satisfaction.
    -RUDE CUSTOMERS. Worth mentioning again!

On a side note... not sure if this is a con or not, but I wonder when Upper Management is going to figure out that the vast majority of their employees are good, honest, hard-working people? They seem to be *waiting* for incidents of theft and dishonesty from within... It's frustrating, to say the least.

Please have more trust in your store managers/employees, especially those who have been there the longest. When hiring outside store managers, make certain they are respectful and capable of their job duties.
    Additionally, when nearly every employee in a store has the same complaint (whether it be about a new manager, product, or way of doing something), that is the time to address it, not look the other way.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!