Not the worst place to work?

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free coffee!
Generally awesome coworkers.
Flexible hours and easiness of the work itself makes for a perfect first or college job.

Cons

Too much pressure and responsibility, not enough reward.
Little to no recognition at store level.
Pay and benefits are minimal.

Caribou could be an amazing place to work, if you would actually listen to your employees. Not the directors of operations or even the district managers. Store managers, supervisors, and team members are the ones who interact with the people who buy your product every single day. If you don't have open communication with the people at the bottom--and you currently don't--then you are missing the biggest piece of your workforce. How can you possibly know what's going well and what's not if you're only looking at the numbers?

Other Reviews for Caribou Coffee

OK for short term

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Building relationships with customers
    -Learning curve of making drinks can be enjoyable in the beginning
    -Generally enjoyable coworkers

Cons

A few negatives:

-At my store, most of the shift supervisors were recent high school grads who didn't go to college right away and had a superiority complex from working for Caribou since they were sixteen. For someone like me, who had a 4-year degree and experience living and working overseas for two years and just needed a temp job while I searched for something full-time, their superior attitude got really old really fast!

-My manager started out pretty good, though I didn't get as many hours as she had implied I would get when hired. However, when she screwed up on the schedule she basically left it up to us to fix it and said "tough luck" if we couldn't find someone to cover us. For example, I got added on to a holiday weekend schedule over a week after the original schedule came out, at which time I had already made family plans, and I ended up having to work because no one could cover me. Plus, I ended up getting a full-time job offer and had to put in my two week's notice shortly before a very busy time for the store, and she tried to guilt me into staying, even keeping me on the schedule after I told her I was done. I realize it's difficult to find opening and day shift workers at a place like Caribou, but I had been upfront with her from the interview stage that I was in search of full-time work elsewhere. It is not the fault of the employees if they give advance notice to leave and you as the manager are dealing with an understaffed store!

great job i love it

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly and nice people there

Cons

not enough hours for me

none

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!