There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Employer that Genuinely Cares for Employees

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Racine, WI
Former Employee - Store Manager in Racine, WI

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Decent Pay
-Steady Hours
-Nights Usually Free
-Free Coffee
-Benefits

Cons

-Stores Closed.
Now that they were bought out by a private investment firm and have essentially pulled all Caribou stores out of anywhere but Minnesota, there are no real opportunities for future employment

I have no advice to Management

254 Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee (View Most Recent)

Enjoyed the company, but worked during 2008 when stores were closing and they were hiring for PT only.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, wonderful coffee and fun staff.

Cons

Corporate seemed to copy competitors. And they hired outside management. It's become more common, but stores grow when their managers start as a barista and work up. Met too many managers who said they were doing this for their résumé.

N.A.

An overall unfortunate experience that I am happy to be away from.

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers, good customers, sometimes really fun, free coffee, I know how to make drinks at home now

Cons

I'm going to start out by saying that a lot of this is definitely store-specific, and I'm 100% sure that not EVERY store is like this. However, I have heard similar things from people who work at different store. I also recognize that our store managers are people too and probably had more than their fair share of difficulties and stress at work.

-Early mornings/late nights

-Management was inconsistent. I had 3 managers in less than a year, and for about a month and a half, we didn't even have a manager.

-I was not formally trained on anything other than register. I learned how to make drinks from watching my coworkers and asking them questions because none of my managers would listen to me when I asked to be bar trained.

-No one in my store would get/take breaks, even when working eight hour shifts, because it seemed like we were discouraged to do so. Occasionally a shift supervisor would take one, but that's about it. The last manager I had was even reluctant to let my pregnant coworker take breaks.

-Low pay, high stress. This is true for most customer service jobs though.

-Upper management shoves unrealistic goals onto store managers, shift supervisors, and team members, then gets upset when those impossible goals aren't met.

-We were always understaffed, which was an especially difficult problem because my store had a drive-thru in addition to front house. During the busy hours (when customers are going to/leaving work) people on the floor would often need to take orders on the headset, remember those orders while taking payment on a different order, take orders on front house, and make drinks in a timely manner on top of that. Management stresses that staff needs to make sincere connections with customers, but it's hard to make customers feel welcome when you're preoccupied by a thousand other duties.

-Hours were inconsistent. Usually shift supervisors were overworked because there were only three or four of them. Some team members would get little to no hours, while others would be scheduled almost over 40 hours a week. There was a time when I wasn't given a single shift for over a month, with no explanation from my manager even when I spoke to them directly.

Make it a priority to ensure that employees are listened to, trained, and having an overall positive experience. It was fairly obvious in my store that shift supervisors and team members were not valued, which made it really hard for anyone to care about the company or quality of product we produced. It's pretty easy for customers to pick up on that sort of thing.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!