Great coffee, but no chance of promotion in management and huge manager turnover

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Duluth, MN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Duluth, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Great coffee with a free half pound every week.
Free shift drink every shift
30% employee discount
Flexible schedule
lots and lots of espresso!

Cons

For a manager in a remote location there is no chance of promotion, but the carrot is always being dangled in front of your face. For the most part the pay for managers is on the low end of the scale and the yearly raises can be a huge disappointment.
managers are required to work 45 hours a week...though they tell you that it can be flexible depending on needs of business...it is not and you must schedule yourself no less than 45...but that is a lot less than usual in F&B, however this is more of a retail position.
Of those 45 hours you are required to work a minimum of 31 hours on the floor. Basically you are a glorified barista. and you have a lot of administrative work to get down in those remaining 14 hours.
Your district manger turnover is huge and I had 5 different DMs in the less than 4 years that I worked there. Each has their own expectations...some labor, some COGS, so focus on guests. You have to constantly be switching the area that you need to focus on.
Frequently you are given tasks that are just busy work and then you never hear about them again. For example spending hours putting together your dreams and goals and action plans only to have nobody ever review or follow up on them.
You are expected to always hit labor but are given no budget for training employees. Good luck when you have to hire.

Spend some time actually reviewing the feedback you insist on your managers giving you. Actually work with your managers and treat them like managers rather than glorified baristas.

Other Reviews for Caribou Coffee

Awful

Current Employee - Barista  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

free coffee and thats about it

Cons

Every other single aspect of that job is an utter terror to get up and go to in the morning

give me a rasie or i'm gone

My current store is very poorly run by management (however not every store is like this, some stores are great).

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rocky River, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky River, OH

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

It is a relaxed environment and offers fair compensation for your work efforts. Most stores are clean, safe, and contain a good atmosphere.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy and politics involved. Example: If the district manager does not like the way you look, you could be excluded from promotions or terminated. The lower levels of management in my district are not very organized. They hire very inexperienced managers, and they are not active in their stores on a personal level.

The company has way too many lower/middle management tiers and it seems they have too much authority. I think lower management could do a better job becoming involved in the stores. Besides sales reports, management does not seem to worry about other issues.

There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!