Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

www.carilionclinic.org
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Fair employer with many opprotunities for fresh out of school employees

Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA
Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

stable employment with moderate to low pay.

Cons

Teaching hospital with too many residents with constant revolving rotations

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Disillusioning

Former Employee - Safety Attendant in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Safety Attendant in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity of working with many skilled, caring individuals.My position gave me an opportunity to offer compassion and care to people who were going through very traumatic times.

Cons

Disappointed that many of the doctors and nurses seemed indiffernt to the patients needs. Sometimes a patient would have to wait half an hour or more for a nurse to respond to the call button. Delay in patient care was often the result of paperwork logjams at shift changes. Best staff to work with were the ICU nurses on 9 South.

Advice to Management

Remember that your patients are customers with medical needs. The patients should be your first and greatest concern. Attitude begins at the head and trickles down.

Carilion Employee

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

I enjoy the people that I work with including the people who manage the department. The managers support your ideas and promote change. The facility itself is in great condition. There are also paramedics, CAs, and housekeeping as well which helps the nurses provide better care for their patient's.

Cons

The salary is low. Carilion offers very little money to their nurses. There is no benefit to staying for the long term. Often times nurses get their year or two of experience and then leave. This means the nurses that stay spend a lot of their time orienting new and very inexperienced nurses without being compensated.

Advice to Management

I think if Carilion looked at how much it spends on orienting new nurses every year and then considered how much they are willing to pay their seasoned nurses they would find it makes way more sense to spend more money trying to keep the nurses they already have. In addition, inexperienced nurses also have the potential to lead to very expensive lawsuits. Nurses is SW VA get paid lower than nurses in any other area of VA and in my opinion that is nothing to be proud of.