chef

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great hours -great food. - easy learning curve

Cons

-food - no advancement, you are stuck in that job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Horrible place to work at

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to start earning money.

Cons

Very rude shift leaders and district manager.

Advice to Management

They should be more friendly and not have their favorites.

2. Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock. 2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well. 3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis. 2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company. 3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location. 4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges. 5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job. 6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

Advice to Management

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.