Carl's Jr

www.carlsjr.com
There are newer employer reviews for Carl's Jr

Trying to grow in a new market quicker than they can handle

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was average and I enjoy working for customers

Cons

They have one trainer responsible for training all incoming managers and she cannot focus and properly train with so many people she is responsible for. The training program is a joke. Cheap on labor and horrible absence of tools (a dish washer, label gun, proper timers to name a few) that could help crew and reduce costs, even labor, in the restaurant. Managers do not have it easy either with their dinosaur computer methods for ordering products and counting inventory. Workers are extremely stressed and unfriendly, what they call "scripting" frusterates a lot of quests but if you don't do it u could be fired. There is a lack of team work because all employees are too busy on their individual stations to accomplish much. They have no set prep person or maintenance and employees are expected to do these tasks along with their regular tasks throughout the day, and god forbid something runs out even if all employees have been extremely busy all day taking care of guests and orders you get reprimanded.

Your in a new market. That's difficult I know. But listen to employees and management for ideas on what would help business move smoother and make them happy. Employees who are happy and not over stressed make customers happy. Invest in items that will help business and employees like a dishwasher especially in stores who's sales are over 30k a week. A label gun will save a lot of labor from employees having to fill out 100+ labels daily by hand. Invest in food storage pans- that saran wrap is difficult when your trying to be fast.

85 Other Employee Reviews for Carl's Jr (View Most Recent)

Avoid at ALL costs, no MATTER how desperate

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

20%, 50% discount on meals - that is if you used it regularly enough

Cons

**Despite the discount, I DON'T EAT HERE, I bought a shake during a break and it made me sick whenever I took a sip. I even made it myself!
    **There's district/regional/general manager conflicts.
    **I'm sure no one at the restaurant likes their coworkers, and you consistently hear managers cursing the job, on the job.
    **The Carl's Jr I work at is disorganized and consistently lacks supplies.
    I'm overworked and sometimes never get a much needed break. Customers like me and come back for the service but because I'm the only cashier on deck I have to juggle cleaning the ever dirty tables, sweep THEN mop the floors, wipe down windows from the inside AND outside, clear restrooms, replace and take out all the trash to the dumpster and beverage bar which is all expected to be done in less than 15 minutes. And I tend to guests as they come in so I have to constantly restart the "circle of influence" so I can't get things done when I have things pulling me in 3 different directions. Not doable, and not conceivable--especially during lunch rush when the stress is greater.
    One manager threatened to keep me at the restaurant past my time even though the afternoon shift cashier had clocked in to assume my duties.
    **The place is filthy. I ate once at the location I work at (before I worked there) and the tabletops were sticky. As I got employed I learned why: the employees don't change out their sanitation bucket water and will continue using the same dirty water until it's opaque and grey. Remember that these buckets and towels have all the crumbs, grease, soda, and dirt cleaned up from guests' tables in them. Filthy. Disgusting.

**SCRIPTING. Every guest gives me a dirty look whenever I ask them if they want the 1/3 or 1/2 lb patty for the thick burger, or to upsize, because it tacks on $2-$4 to what would've been a more affordable meal, into a over-glorified heart attack. Whoever wrote the scripting has probably never dealt with face-to-face business in the restaurant service industry.

Have a "busboy" job, because a cashier can't be both a cashier and busboy within reasonable means.

Hire better managers.

Don't play "favorites".

Have better hierarchy of management organization.

Get a better POS system that gives more power to cashiers with the guest orders--every time I ask for the manager card because a guest changed their mind about a meal, the manager shoots me a dirty look as if I did something wrong.

Hours are crap

Current Employee - Crew Member in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Corona, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, Co-workers are friendly, Decent first job, Immediate job security

Cons

Hours/days are crap: I only get 4 and a half hours, one day a week even after working here for 3 months; Feels like certain employees get more hours than others; Over staffed

Please reconsider how you hire people. It seems that people get hired left and right just to move out other employees (high turn over rate).

There are newer employer reviews for Carl's Jr