There are newer employer reviews for Carlson Companies

Sound foundation

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Carlson Companies

Pros

Outstanding benefits package and close-knit relationships with co-workers. Many of the senior staff has been with the company for 10+ years, which results in a family-type atmosphere.

Cons

Sometime there is a lack of direction from upper management on what is a priority.

Be more forthcoming and expect the same level of excellence from yourself that you demand from subordinates

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Brand, Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Carlson Companies

Pros

Brand recognition - Carlson has built a fantastic brand with worlwide recognition. UNfortunately, poor leadership has tarnished that brand and left many of the operating units in disarray. Hopefully the company will learn from the mistakes it made and the lack of succession planning so that it can make a strong come back down the road.

Cons

poor leadership, lack of succession plan

communicate clearly to your employees

2. Good place to start a career.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Carlson Companies

Pros

Carlson was a great place to work at an entry level position. The location and the rapport between colleagues was a huge benefit to my career development. Carlson's business ventures ranged from hotel/leisure industries to interactive marketing. There was a great portfolio of business interests to choose from: restaurants, marketing services, hotel, cruise, online, digital, media, etc. Carlson had the look and feel of a boutique agency but contained the resources of a full scale organization. I enjoyed the people I worked with, Minneapolis was a great city to work in and build a career. Many of my colleagues were much older than I was, so their experience proved as an asset later in my tenure.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the ideas and vision were processed in a manner that hindered my career development. Goals and objectives were drawn without envisioning the entire scope of a project. The things I signed up to do were not close to what I ended up performing at Carlson. Many employees left due to a lack of vision. Alot of blame were placed on people that had minimal accountability. Upper management is always looking out for their own interests and the little people have to make a much proactive effort to stay within reach. Vertical promotion was not very frequent during my tenure.

The best companies know how to retain great talent. They also have ways to develop great leaders. There was a lack of training resources for many of the co workers I interacted with. Provide much needed opportunities to develop your entry level programs into a respectable endeavor.

There are newer employer reviews for Carlson Companies