Carlton Hair

www.carltonhairinternational.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Carlton Hair

It has so much potential to be a great place to work, but it simply is not.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of education for stylists
Good assistant program to train new stylists.
Medical benefits and 401k option
Marketing to bring in clientele provided
Paid vacation for salon coordinators

Cons

Salon Coordinators make commission on all products sold, regardless if it was it was actually the stylist's sell.
Salon Coordinators get paid vacation however stylists DO NOT. Even if they have been with the company for years
Commission scales for stylists are very small, stylists on average only taking in about half of what they actually make.
Education provided by the company is NOT free and is in fact very expensive, on top of that there is a lot of pressure to pay for the classes.
There is endless time clock issues. The company has been sued over time clock issues and lost at least twice. And still there is so much confusion and chaos over this issue.
Assistants are required to work 6 days a week. They get away with this by having one of the days off be an education day, but this education day is mandatory and entails of driving to Irvine (EVERY MONDAY) no matter where you live,

Advice to Management

There are probably about 15 people in this company who make a lot of money. Then their are the hundreds of employees who work back breaking jobs for pennies. My advice is start focusing on what would actually make your employees happy. Stop focusing for a few minutes on how to squeeze even more money out of your stylists and focus on your terrible turn around problem. If you have more salons open than you can afford, close some down until you can make the working experience lucrative AND enjoying and fulfilling. And for goodness sake, find a way to help you stylist make more of a decent living. When you pay your receptionist significantly higher than your licensed professionals you have a serious priority problem.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This place is an ulcer waiting to happen.

Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Medical benefits
    -401K
    -Education, especially the training you get as an assistant
    -Marketing

Cons

- High stress
    - Extremely low pay
    - Dead end job
    - Always have to work holidays
    - I worked here for 3 years and no matter how well I was doing, or how many goals I was hitting, I never once I had a meeting with management where I wasn't made to feel like I was failing the company. They slap the most impossible goals and expectations on you and offer you very little pay or compensation.
    - All of the commission made from my many product sales went to the receptionists
    - They put an enormous amount of pressure on you to pay for in-company classes. I spent over $600 on classes taught by people in the company.
    - Very poor work/life balance. I felt like I was constantly at work, always on weekends and every single holiday, and struggled to get days off for important events.
    - No paid vacation ever, which by the way the receptionist do get. You figure that one out.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff like they are so replaceable, and maybe you won't have to CONSTANTLY be replacing them. I never felt so relieved as the day I gave my notice.

2. It's ok to start as a stylist here for their education program

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great education classes for stylists
    They pay for salon supplies
    They give product comission to salon coordinators
    They have a yearly hair show
    You get your hair done for free

Cons

You're just a number to them.
    I was unfairly made to quit my job because apparently working for a makeup company & Carlton Hair was a "conflict of interest" when other employees were working for the same makeup company & Carlton Hair and they were never asked to quit or let go. I'm sure that's valid for a law suit.
    They stress their stylist to unbelievable levels.
    Stylist end up taking home more than half less money than they really made.
    I used to love my job so much at Carlton, until they changed management.
    They book you clients by how much product you sell. You don't sell their product, you don't get busy and you don't get promoted.

Advice to Management

Be aware of what really goes on in salons. Artists work so hard, and they are under appreciated.